diy solar

diy solar

Trouble getting low voltage wire to charge Ecoflow battery effectively

jrperina

Hi, I have an EcoFlow Delta Pro battery which I'm using for my cabin in the woods. I ran a very long power cable (about 1500 ft) to the cabin which is effectively acting as a very long extension cord from my house to the cabin. The idea was to use whatever voltage was left after it drops over the long distance to charge the ecoflow battery.

Because the Ecoflow battery has AC Passthrough and I sometimes have need for higher wattage output at the cabin I wanted to use DC charging from the wire to regularly charge the battery. The first thing I did was purchase a RoyPow cigarette lighter converter (RoyPow 180W (Max 200W) 12V15A Power Supply Adapter Transformer) so that I could use the cigarette lighter adapter that came with the Delta Pro. This worked perfectly and I get a steady 105 Watts of power from the cord. There have been no problems with this over several months.

However, I ran some tests on my long power line and I can see that the voltage is higher and I should be able to get around 500W of power from my cord. So I have been trying to figure out which type of power supply I should use to get the most out of my cord. I had success with a $50 - DROK 48V Switching Power Supply which I adapted with an XT60i output. This got me about 380W and I was very happy with the outcome, however, after about 24 hours the power supply stopped working. I'm not sure if its because I was operating near the power limit of the power supply, or because it has low voltage coming in, or something else. I'm not an expert on this.

I next tried a YILEIDE 48V Golf Cart Battery Charger which seems to be much better built ($300) however, I am finding that this doesn't want to charge the battery at all. It simply doesn't charge.

Does anyone have any experience on which type of converter/power supply I should use here to support my LESS than 110v input to get the most DC power possible out of that wire into an XT60i connection in a stable way?

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS. My second goal is to tie in the Ecoflow 400W solar panel I have to add to the power coming from the wire.

So you want a 120v to 12v adapter to connect at the end of this super long 120v cable?

You should go for lower wattage. Maybe an hlg-185h-12/12aPossibly an hlg-320-12/12a could stay above 90 volts to operate but it's uncertain,

If you could get 240v into it at the start you could get a lot more out.

Actually no, what I'd like is an adapter that will pass through as much voltage as possible, but with DC current. At least 48v 10a or more. But that won't break down if the input voltage is much less than 120v. Like I said in the post, the DROK 48v was good and did the job.. but I think the lower voltage on the input caused it to fail.

Good idea on the higher voltage at the input though. It might drop down near 120v over the length of the wire. Any electricians see any concerns with doing that?

Anyone else have an idea on what type of adapter/power supply would work?

Voltage doesn't "pass thru" a wire. It is the pressure that moves current thru the wire. With no current flow the voltage at both ends of the wire are the same. At 1500 feet you have too much voltage drop along the wire to move those electrons into the battery.

Back