diy solar

diy solar

Truck Camper 1000w solar 460ah schematic

Alaska Travel Truck

Hello, I'm going to be installing 1000w solar on my truck camper roof and (2) 460ah batteries with a Sungold 24v/3000w all in one solar control/battery charger in the side boxes of my flat bed Ram 5500. Box will be lined with 1/2 plywood prior to install.
Could you please look at my diagram and provide constructive criticism or usefull information on how this looks for power and safety.
(2) Epoch 460ah batteries with internal heating and a 200amp BMS (ea) Wired to inverter with 2/00 cable. Max run of 5'
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7071.jpeg
    IMG_7071.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Normally I would expect 3 pair wire from the inverter AC to panel AC; not 2 pair.
Need an MRBF, not mega for lithium.
I would create a 12 volt bus so the inverter does not power the converter. The 120 volt converters are fairly wasteful.
I use 4/0 for a 3000 watt inverter. Has to do with a low voltage cutoff of 10 volts, conversion losses, and a safety factor.
Recommend a combiner box and not combining the inputs at the breaker
If each of the solar strings has a fuse, a DC switch can be used in lieu of a breaker
Usually, 2 strings of panels do not require over circuit protection. I still use fuses or circuit breakers if set up 2P. Makes trouble shooting easier.

Normally I would expect 3 pair wire from the inverter AC to panel AC; not 2 pair.
Need an MRBF, not mega for lithium.
I would create a 12 volt bus so the inverter does not power the converter. The 120 volt converters are fairly wasteful.
I use 4/0 for a 3000 watt inverter. Has to do with a low voltage cutoff of 10 volts, conversion losses, and a safety factor.
Recommend a combiner box and not combining the inputs at the breaker
If each of the solar strings has a fuse, a DC switch can be used in lieu of a breaker
Usually, 2 strings of panels do not require over circuit protection. I still use fuses or circuit breakers if set up 2P. Makes trouble shooting easier.
My plan is to take the 30 amp shore service cord and run it to the inverter. Then I'll wire a new 30 amp shore power as an input at the Sungold all in one.

This unit will not work for you.

It requires a minimum of 120Vmp for the MPPT to properly operate. You are only supplying about 38Vmp in your 2S2P configuration. The only way you could make this work is with a 4S configuration of "24V" panels with ~45Voc.
I didn't see that when researching. Thanks for catching it and saving me a big head ache at install. I guess my options are to switch to a different controller or different panels. What would your advice be?

WILL THIS WORK? https://richsolar.com/collections/h...solar-hybrid-off-grid-inverter-2400w-24v-120a

OR THESE PANELS? https://richsolar.com/products/250-watt-24-volt-solar-panel

THX!

Last edited:
I didn't see that when researching. Thanks for catching it and saving me a big head ache at install.

(y)

I guess my options are to switch to a different controller or different panels. What would your advice be?

WILL THIS WORK? https://richsolar.com/collections/h...solar-hybrid-off-grid-inverter-2400w-24v-120a

Yes. That's the prior generation before they went to the high voltage MPPT. The panels you sketched will work in both 2S2P or 4S configs.
https://richsolar.com/collections/h...solar-hybrid-off-grid-inverter-2400w-24v-120a

Yes. Those would ONLY work 4S on the high voltage MPPT.

As to which way to go, I would go with the lower voltage one.

You may find that your rooftop array is insufficient, or you want to park under shade, and you want some deployable arrays. 2S lightweight flexible panels mounted in PVC frames could quickly be deployed and paralleled with your 2S2P rooftop array for supplemental energy.

2 Epoch 460ah batteries with internal heating

Could you buy a single 24V battery instead? Makes it easier and avoids balance issues. Not sure if they are available with 460Ah but definitely available with a 200A BMS.
I have never paid attention to the heating.. maybe that's your reason? I found a SGP heated 24v but only 100Ah

(y)

Yes. That's the prior generation before they went to the high voltage MPPT. The panels you sketched will work in both 2S2P or 4S configs.
https://richsolar.com/collections/h...solar-hybrid-off-grid-inverter-2400w-24v-120a

Yes. Those would ONLY work 4S on the high voltage MPPT.

As to which way to go, I would go with the lower voltage one.

You may find that your rooftop array is insufficient, or you want to park under shade, and you want some deployable arrays. 2S lightweight flexible panels mounted in PVC frames could quickly be deployed and paralleled with your 2S2P rooftop array for supplemental energy.
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it!

Could you buy a single 24V battery instead? Makes it easier and avoids balance issues. Not sure if they are available with 460Ah but definitely available with a 200A BMS.
I have never paid attention to the heating.. maybe that's your reason? I found a SGP heated 24v but only 100Ah
I already have these batteries so I'll go with them. I might have to balance them once in a while.

diy solar

diy solar
Back