diy solar

diy solar

Trying to expand my system

pctree

OK so newbie here, years ago I bought 6 2v batteries , they are huge, Exide Flooded Classic H1T-41. I have an outback charge controller and 600 watts of panels. I had intended to expand the system but got busy with work and life so it has just been running 2 12v chest freezers. So now I have time and some resources and wanted to expand. I was intrigued by the outback radian as it can power the house or sell to the grid but it requires a 48v battery system. I assume its not an option to put 3 12v 200ah batteries in series ?? My batteries are rated at 4000ah.

I had hoped to buy a pallet of 30 used 250w Canadian Solar Panels that are 37 volts.

Any input would be appreciated

OK so newbie here, years ago I bought 6 2v batteries , they are huge, Exide Flooded Classic H1T-41. I have an outback charge controller and 600 watts of panels. I had intended to expand the system but got busy with work and life so it has just been running 2 12v chest freezers. So now I have time and some resources and wanted to expand. I was intrigued by the outback radian as it can power the house or sell to the grid but it requires a 48v battery system. I assume its not an option to put 3 12v 200ah batteries in series ?? My batteries are rated at 4000ah.

I had hoped to buy a pallet of 30 used 250w Canadian Solar Panels that are 37 volts.

Any input would be appreciated
I may be interpreting what you are thinking incorrectly but I think you are slightly confused. You do not need to match the voltage of the solar panels to the voltage of your battery bank. For 48V system in your example you will need four 12V 200Ah batteries in series. Depending on what Outback charge controller you have you can put many of the panels in series for higher voltage and the charge controller converts that to the proper voltage for the battery bank.

Welcome. There is so much that can go right, or wrong here. I suspect you will save a bundle of cash if you do some planning of your end result before you buy stuff.

Just stick around and read posts for a month.

However the Radian system requires a 48v battery bank. To purchase the 6 batteries I currently have would be $21K so I would prefer to utilize them hence my curiosity in adding 3 more 12v batteries to make a 48v system

Thanks for the response

Back