diy solar

diy solar

Trying to survive the hurricane Need some assistance on my generator powering my inverter

So i'm having some issues with my generator power my inverters to charge my batterys. He used to work but I have changed my Inverter tp6048 Some power gold To echo worthy 2 5000watt inverters. The tp6048 had a big transformer in it Where the eco's do not. My issue is when I try to use a generator to charge the batteries it really serges up and down and I have changed the current Down to 15amps and it's still doesn't. I can see my j k b m s software that it draws fifty sixty amps and the generator kicks out. I have to use solar only at this point in time to charge a batteries Any thoughts? They're saying we may be so out for days if not weeks of power I'm north of houston Thanks for any help yes I have a lot in and out with the phone and the internet
If it is not a pure sign wave generator, so likely the issue as dirty power is a bitch as I have found, my 12k DuroMax sometimes works, other times not, and I do it thru my AIO.

My setup is I back feed the solar as well as the Generator from my garage 100amp feed and has worked great so just using that grounding. And as far as a resistive load I have a blower fan plugged into the generator. If you have time or any of the members I just uploaded the pdf manual and I short video of settings to my google drive that I have shared with the factory. I will provide link the last I have heard maybe power returned tomorrow along with internet just using hotspot.
Hopefully you get power back soon.
As @Badbyte mentioned try changing 03 to APL, and 06 to AC1st, also some other good suggestions to try.
Correction:
After re-reading page 44 of the manual several dozen times and downloading a different manual to confirm, since it is a bit confusing...
My interpretation is that setting 31 on inverter one should be 2P0
and inverter 2 should be 2P2

This should tell them to be 180 degrees out of phase.

I wish theyd phrase it better in thse manuals, gets confusing sometimes...sigh.
This is my interpretation as well.

@Buick39 your units are made by SRNE, model HYP.

Its also handy to set the charge level low if you want it have plenty of power to run stuff in place of it trying to charge the batteries.

I keep 7 at 10A and 28 at 5A

7 is the solar or total power amps going to charging.

28 is the grid's amp limit allowed to be used for charging

If you just want to limit the grid side but allow the solar to charge a bunch then leave it at 60A on 7 and just set 28 to 5A or so and ramp it up later.

I use the 7 at 10A and 28 at 5A when I'm using hybrid mode and the timed battery discharge so it takes awhile to charge the battery back after the battery discharge I do at night. This way the the victron and other chargers carry the heavy loads of recharging the batteries and the inverters panels power the houses loads since I don't have enough panels to power the house during the day and charge the batteries too.

---------

07 Battery charging current 60 default
SPH8K48SP current setting range:0~180A.
SPH10K48SP current setting range:0~200A.

28 Max. utility charging current 60 default
SPH8K48SP, setting range: 0~100A.
SPH10K48SP, setting range: 0~120A.

All above are great suggestions to try.
Only other thing I would suggest, if you have a multimeter capable of showing the output frequency of the generators' AC output and see how close it is to 60 Hz.

I have a 7.5 Kw diesel generator in my RV and my ASP 10Kw would not charge while connected to it, even though it worked fine with my old low frequency inverters. Turns out my generator was pumping out just slightly below 59 Hz... readjusted the governor on my genny and charging started working properly. Every generator is different as are the inverters. Some will be more sensitive to dirty or non 60Hz power then others... milage will vary. Only other way I can think of to test how dirty the power is from the genny would be to connect an oscilloscope to the output and watch the waveform... should be a smooth sine wave.

If it is not a pure sign wave generator, so likely the issue as dirty power is a bitch as I have found, my 12k DuroMax sometimes works, other times not, and I do it thru my AIO.
That is sorta what Im thinking the TP6048 Sungoldpower had on inside mppt very heavy.

Wanted to thank everyone on there input and power has been restored finally and still waning to fix the issue for the next time. I have had no luck with ECO Worthy support on getting any help so looking for idea's. I didn't a check on the wiring of my generator and found L1 and L2 was crossed not sure if that would play a role in the inverters or not. Another question I had notice by accident that frames of my solar panels are a little hot as in electricity so I purchase some small stainless and started to tie all the panels together and set a ground rod but as I tied them together I could tell it intensified so I stopped and will need to power down everything to finish connecting panels and ground rod. I noticed that grounds and natural is all tied to the same buss in garage box And I know the home 200amp breaker box has a ground rod. Would you think I need to run another wire from small breaker box in garage to the ground rod as well? Not sure if this could be part of my not being able to charge with generator maybe might clean power. I know on the 50amp plug I ran a jumper I believe from ground to neutral lug. I dont recall but need to look if there is any ground bond issues in the manual on this units. Thanks for any input.

Wanted to thank everyone on there input and power has been restored finally and still waning to fix the issue for the next time. I have had no luck with ECO Worthy support on getting any help so looking for idea's. I didn't a check on the wiring of my generator and found L1 and L2 was crossed not sure if that would play a role in the inverters or not. Another question I had notice by accident that frames of my solar panels are a little hot as in electricity so I purchase some small stainless and started to tie all the panels together and set a ground rod but as I tied them together I could tell it intensified so I stopped and will need to power down everything to finish connecting panels and ground rod. I noticed that grounds and natural is all tied to the same buss in garage box And I know the home 200amp breaker box has a ground rod. Would you think I need to run another wire from small breaker box in garage to the ground rod as well? Not sure if this could be part of my not being able to charge with generator maybe might clean power. I know on the 50amp plug I ran a jumper I believe from ground to neutral lug. I dont recall but need to look if there is any ground bond issues in the manual on this units. Thanks for any input.
I would not add a separate ground rod at your array. I would have 1 ground rod for everything. Run a ground wire from your array(s) back the your main ground.

I'm not an expert but that seems to be the recommended best practice here.

diy solar

diy solar
Back