diy solar

diy solar

Inverter recognizes generator but won't accept charge

LindaS

I have two MPPT LV2424 greens. They have served me very well and I have been able to keep my 16 batteries charged either through solar or my Honda 2200 generator. When my pet pig recently rumbled that generator which caught fire, I switched to a Predator 3500. I ran it once or twice during rains with the storms having started here in California. Now the Predator generator won't work at all so I've swapped in my smaller Honda 2000 to charge the batteries. I changed the amperage setting to 20, and while there is voltage shown at the generator and voltage of the generator shown at the inverter, the inverter recognizes the generator, it won't draw any power from it.
I can't find answers from any other posts, nor have Ian's suggestions (of MPP Solar) solved the problem. I still get some charge during the day from the panels even in the rain and I prefer to top off the batteries for obvious reasons.
Anyone resolve a similar situation? Thanks in advance.

Thank you. Should I set it to 10? I tried that but it still wouldn't charge. I could try again.

The thing that pops out to me is 120v x 20amps = 2400watts from a 1600 watt rated generator
Thank you. Should I set it to 10? I tried that but it still wouldn't charge. I could try again.

That's what I'd try. How does the generator sound while it's idling with nothing connected to it? Is it smooth or rough and running faster/slower?

You mentioned the inverter is seeing the 120v...does it show the frequency as well? Is it stable around 60hz?

I have a honda 2200 and have had to clean the fuel filter out as well as the injector as it started surging after 5 months of daily use. There are videos on youtube on how to do it if you're having that issue.

That's what I'd try. How does the generator sound while it's idling with nothing connected to it? Is it smooth or rough and running faster/slower?

You mentioned the inverter is seeing the 120v...does it show the frequency as well? Is it stable around 60hz?

I have a honda 2200 and have had to clean the fuel filter out as well as the injector as it started surging after 5 months of daily use. There are videos on youtube on how to do it if you're having that issue.
It was serviced about two weeks ago. Running really well. I checked the hz setting to make sure it's set at 60 in the controller but I haven't checked to see if there's an indicator to confirm the actuality. I'm glad you have some knowledge about the 2200. Thanks for your ideas. There's a huge downpour at the moment. As soon as it subsides I'll set the amperage down to 10 and see what happens. Thanks again.

I just tried at 10 amps. Still not charging through controller/inverter. Boo.

Maybe try adding a small load to the generator before trying to charge, sometimes this will smooth the power out.

I'm pretty sure the charging amperage setting is for the DC side.

Maybe try adding a small load to the generator before trying to charge, sometimes this will smooth the power out.

I'm pretty sure the charging amperage setting is for the DC side.
I appteciate your reply. I tried first putting my dremel on then adding the battery bank. Didn't work. I also tried shutting off most of the load at the breakers. Didn't work either. Thanks for the info on the amperage setting. Do you know whether it should be at 10 or 20 for a Honda 2000?

I appteciate your reply. I tried first putting my dremel on then adding the battery bank. Didn't work. I also tried shutting off most of the load at the breakers. Didn't work either. Thanks for the info on the amperage setting. Do you know whether it should be at 10 or 20 for a Honda 2000?
20a should be fine, it's only ~550W.

Usually when this happens the frequency of the generator is outside the acceptable range that the inverter will accept.

You need to:

find out what is tolerable for the LV 2424
get a frequency meter and check the output of your generator(s)

Usually when this happens the frequency of the generator is outside the acceptable range that the inverter will accept.

You need to:

find out what is tolerable for the LV 2424
get a frequency meter and check the output of your generator(s)
Thank you. Do you mean hz? I checked. Compatible. I will doublecheck to be certain.

You need to measure it. Don't rely on the mgfr's say-so.
Thank you. I attempted it tonight and it flipped around in the acceptable range. Should the meter stay completely steady on one fixed number? Using a multi meter is new to me.

yeah dirty power such as a predator can cause issues. with the smaller suitcase style you need to ensure that you are not powering any of the house loads via the generator while trying to charge. they get overloaded pretty quickly and if they stumble when they try to charge it will upset the frequency and you are back to waiting for the inverter to recognize the power again. charging kicks in genset stumbles and back to square one wash rinse repeat.

Keep in mind that your loads need to be covered as well as charging when using your inverter/charger. I had to turn down the charging amps in my Trace SW 4024 to 6-7 amps with my 2000 inverter generator. Charging amp setting is the vac input from the genny which must be multiplied by a factor of 5 to figure vdc amps going into your 24 volt battery so, 30 - 35 amps into my battery

Keep in mind that your loads need to be covered as well as charging when using your inverter/charger. I had to turn down the charging amps in my Trace SW 4024 to 6-7 amps with my 2000 inverter generator. Charging amp setting is the vac input from the genny which must be multiplied by a factor of 5 to figure vdc amps going into your 24 volt battery so, 30 - 35 amps into my battery
Thank you. Over my head, but not over my helpful neighbor's. I'll share this. Thank you.
yeah dirty power such as a predator can cause issues. with the smaller suitcase style you need to ensure that you are not powering any of the house loads via the generator while trying to charge. they get overloaded pretty quickly and if they stumble when they try to charge it will upset the frequency and you are back to waiting for the inverter to recognize the power again. charging kicks in genset stumbles and back to square one wash rinse repeat.
That's helpful info for me to think about and use. Thanks.

Have you tried turning the Eco switch off on the H2000 so that it revs up to full power before starting charging?

What are the symptom when you connect to the inverter/charger - does the generator blip or bog down at all? If so you might need to clean the exhaust screen (easily removed from the exhaust pipe). If clogged, the machine will not develop full power.

Back