diy solar

diy solar

Victron Quattro II won't charge.

SteveDeFacto

I finally got my Quattro II from Current Connected a couple days ago after a seller on Amazon kept sending me MultiPlus units which I had to return over and over, over a period of months. I mainly bought this Quattro II for its dual AC inputs so I can charge batteries from grid and generator at the same time.

This morning I woke up early and I needed more power. I thought I could just screw in an ac plug and start charging. This initially appeared to work flawlessly. About 30 minutes later, I started hearing a repeated clicking sound and realized it had stopped charging.

I realized that I didn't properly secure one of the wires and fixed that, but now when I try to connect AC to either input, I just hear this clicking sound periodically even after fixing the lose connection?

Do you have any LEDs flashing while it is clicking?

Also, yes the Quattro has 2 inputs, but it automatically selects power from the active input. If both inputs have power it defaults to input 1.

Also, yes the Quattro has 2 inputs, but it automatically selects power from the active input. If both inputs have power it defaults to input 1.
The charging led flashes for like a split second when the relay clicks. No errors or faults shown in UI.

It's almost like there is a short or something because the power draw surges when the relay clicks. It keeps popping the breaker on my 200 foot extension cord I ran from the house.

I got tired of running back to the house to reset breaker so I also tried creating a loop for debugging by feeding the AC output to the AC input and it gets past the surge without popping but still doesn't charge. I fiddled with several settings including current limits but even with a 9.5a limit, the issue persistents and house fuse still pops.

Ok so I somehow managed to get it to stop immediately popping the breaker after fiddling with settings in VEConfig. Now it just pops the breaker after 5 minutes again.

I turned charge current down to 10a, input current down to 5a, turned off ground relay, turned off virtual switch, and I turned off power assist. Still pops breaker in 5 minutes. I am able to run a 12k btu AC off this extension cord without issue... I don't know what else to try?

Ok, I figured it out. Saw a wiring diagram of the Quattro-II and realized the input 1 and output 1 are connected.

So my entire house load was being pumped through this 200 foot extension cord plugged into a 15a outlet. I switched to input 2, set some reasonable limits, and now it's working flawlessly!

Last edited:
So normally your Quattro 2 is only charged from solar? And then you temp hooked up an extension cord to AC in 1 to charge it?

So normally your Quattro 2 is only charged from solar? And then you temp hooked up an extension cord to AC in 1 to charge it?
Usual setup was solar during the day and power supply/iCharger/extension cord at night. The Quattro 2 is new.

Back