diy solar

diy solar

Turning off equipment when battery backup kicks in?

Hoocli

I have a 15k solark and soon they will be releasing the smartload 14. However it's probably going to be pricy and no real timeline on that.

Anyway I want to turn off a mining rig hive os. when the power goes out for x time or if the battery is below a certain voltage.

Any ideas out there? It's a 240v load but it is a wall outlet. Is there a way to use home assistant or can solar assistant do this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220729_134011.jpg
    20220729_134011.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
I have a 15k solark and soon they will be releasing the smartload 14. However it's probably going to be pricy and no real timeline on that.

Anyway I want to turn off a mining rig hive os. when the power goes out for x time or if the battery is below a certain voltage.

Any ideas out there? It's a 240v load but it is a wall outlet. Is there a way to use home assistant or can solar assistant do this?

Thanks
I am wondering if you could connect a small ups to grid power for the simple purpose of having it begin the computers shutdown process when grid power goes out. The all you need is a device that will turn off the outlet to the ups when the batteries drop below a set voltage (the generator relay might work as a trigger for that)

I am wondering if you could connect a small ups to grid power for the simple purpose of having it begin the computers shutdown process when grid power goes out. The all you need is a device that will turn off the outlet to the ups when the batteries drop below a set voltage (the generator relay might work as a trigger for that)
Would work, except my entire panel is backed up with the 15k. So it would still detect grid up because the sol ark is powering it.

Thanks

control one of these https://www.digital-loggers.com/iotfaqs.html
with one of these https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_protect/smart-battery-protect

Holy goodness! Brilliant solution by this guy on reddit.
Capture.JPG

Not really much point in even shutting down the rig, you just need it to stop mining. It will stop mining once it loses ethernet connectivity. So just have the switch lose power via whatever means necessary, which will cut your ethernet, which will stop mining, when power comes back and switch comes back on, mining resumes. No software changes necessary on mining rig or random shutdowns from power loss.

The only question is what method to use to know that you are on battery power on the SolArk and turn off the switch.

Last edited:
Ok, I got your solution.

Get a Victron 48/250 120V Phoenix inverter. Hook it up to your 48v battery bus bar. Only run an ethernet switch on the Phoenix and plug that ethernet cable into your Mining rig.

Configure the Phoenix to shutdown at a voltage you feel is acceptable to drop out for being on battery power.. have it come back on when you feel the voltage is back to where you want it to be.

It's the smallest Victron inverter that will work with your 48v batteries, so it should be "cheapish".. you have a SolArk and a 240v mining rig, so I know you can afford it.. :p

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3
Holy goodness! Brilliant solution by this guy on reddit.
View attachment 106437

Not really much point in even shutting down the rig, you just need it to stop mining. It will stop mining once it loses ethernet connectivity. So just have the switch lose power via whatever means necessary, which will cut your ethernet, which will stop mining, when power comes back and switch comes back on, mining resumes. No software changes necessary on mining rig or random shutdowns from power loss.

The only question is what method to use to know that you are on battery power on the SolArk and turn off the switch.
Yes that would work but again I need to figure out when the power goes out since the whole house doesn't lose power ?

Ok, I got your solution.

Get a Victron 48/250 120V Phoenix inverter. Hook it up to your 48v battery bus bar. Only run an ethernet switch on the Phoenix and plug that ethernet cable into your Mining rig.

Configure the Phoenix to shutdown at a voltage you feel is acceptable to drop out for being on battery power.. have it come back on when you feel the voltage is back to where you want it to be.

It's the smallest Victron inverter that will work with your 48v batteries, so it should be "cheapish".. you have a SolArk and a 240v mining rig, so I know you can afford it.. :p
Only problem is I use the battery each night to offset power usage. So I need to be able to determine if the power is out and not just voltage.

The smartload 14 would be ideal but not released yet and who knows when it will be.

I do have Kasa smart plugs. Is there a way to program that if one goes out the other goes out? Could put one at my brother in law's. In theory if his power is out mine will but won't be perfect.

Just put a din rail and a 15A breaker in the main disconnect box before the solark with 1 15A outlet branch circuit for the Ethernet switch

Attachments

• IMG_20220811_202425417.jpg
    IMG_20220811_202425417.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 6
Just put a din rail and a 15A breaker in the main disconnect box before the solark with 1 15A outlet branch circuit for the Ethernet switch
That would work, are you able to put those on the large disconnect boxes? Pretty full with 4/0 cables. I'll have to take a look. Not a fan of playing in that box. Had it installed by an electrician

That would work, are you able to put those on the large disconnect boxes? Pretty full with 4/0 cables. I'll have to take a look. Not a fan of playing in that box. Had it installed by an electrician
I edited my post with a pic. This is how mine was setup for a 30A RV plug.

Not sure, it was done by an electrician but we are still NEC 2014 here and it has since been removed and I just set it in there to give you a visual

Back