diy solar

diy solar

PV Battery SoC drops way too quickly

Bast

Hi all,

Complete newbie here so go easy on me :)

I'm having a problem with my current PV setup: the battery seems to deplete far too quickly.

My set up is as follows:
  • A charger/inverter: EPEVER UPower UP1000-M3212 (manual here, data sheet here)
  • 2 x 160W panels: Enjoy Solar® Poly Solar Panel, 160 Watt, 12 Volt, Polycrystalline, wired in series (specs here)
  • A single 130Ah 12V AGM deep cycle battery: EcoBat EDC12-110 (specs here)

Connected to the inverter (~230V) are:
  • a small fridge that draws around 0-40W (and occasionally more than 40W)
  • garden lighting that should draw around 20W (20 x 1W LED bulbs) but seems to draw around 80W according to the inverter (I'm sure this discrepancy can be explained somehow but my understanding of electronics is fairly limited). The lighting kicks in at sunset and switches off at 22:00.
  • Occasionally I use it to charge an e-bike battery

So, for the sake of my question let's say a nominal load of around 100W on the inverter.
Now, if I'm not wrong, my battery should be able to handle that load for 130Ah x 12V = 1560Wh, 1560Wh / 100W = 15.6 hours, on a theoretical 100% DoD. The EPEVER seems to limit the DoD to about 50% though, so let's say 15.6 hours / 2 = 7.8 hours. That is 7.8 hours AT LEAST, because the nominal load is often much lower than 100W (see graph below).

What seems to happen is, as long as the PV is supplying power, the batteries stay at around 100% SoC. But as soon as the sun sets, the SoC seems to plunge according to the EPEVER. After that, SoC drops more slowly and the battery lasts for about 2/3 hours max before the battery SoC reaches 50% and the utility charger kicks in. On top of that the nominal load was way lower than 100W. More like 45W with some spikes to about 100W (see chart).

This is a graph of the past 24 hours (it looks about the same each day):

EPEVER graph.jpg

This is another graph, of the past 48 hours, with SoC plotted against the battery voltage:

EPEVER graph 2.jpg

(Ignore the weird spikes around 12:00, that was when I rebooted the EPEVER a few times)

Now if I understand correctly, the battery voltage will report the charger voltage when it is charging. So the drop in voltage when the sun sets could just be the charger cutting out, I guess. It drops from about 14V to 13V. I believe 13V is close to the under load voltage of a fully charged AGM. But that still does not explain why the EPEVER thinks that the SoC drops from 100% to about 65% almost instantly. So it seems to think 13V is 65% SoC. Also, it reports SoC as being around 55% when the battery voltage is at 12.6V. From what I gather 12.6V should roughly equal 85% SoC.

Off-topic observation: The PV output seems to follow the inverter load when the battery is fully charged (PV output is sitting at about 10W above the inverter load most of the time), I'm guessing the EPEVER limits the PV power to what is needed.

The battery is brand new by the way, so aging should not be a factor I think.

Now, the first thing that comes to mind is: the SoC reported must be wrong. No idea how the EPEVER calculates SoC. I recently read about how the only reliable way to measure SoC is using coulomb counters but I have no idea of the EPEVER has one buit in. It does report cumulative power consumption and charge quantity in kWh.

Second reason I could think of is that the battery settings are wrong. It has a AGM/sealed preset that it is currently set to, but also supplies a 'user' battery mode where I can specify various cut-off/reconnect voltages, but I'm afraid to touch that.

I'm not sure that the cut-off/reconnect voltages it reports over RS485 when it's not set to 'user' mode are the ones it's using now. In any case, these are the values reported:

Boost charge voltage14.4V
Boost voltage reconnect13.2V
Float charging voltage13.8V
Low voltage disconnect10.8V
Low voltage reconnect12.5V

In the graph above the EPEVER seems to switch over to utility charging when the battery is around 12.6V so I dont think it uses the above settings. I could not find the voltage tresholds for the AGM/Sealed profile in the manual so no idea what they are supposed to be.

These are the remaining settings on the EPEVER that I think might be relevant:

Battery typeAGM/Sealed
Boost charging duration30 min
Battery capacity130 Ah
Charge source prioritySolar Priority
Discharging output modeBattery

Ambient temperatures are currenly around 25-28 C during the day and 14-18 C during the night.

I'm at a loss. Am I missing something? Any ideas what's wrong?

P.S: Sorry for the information overload. I tried to be thorough.

Last edited:
Epever solar controllers do not calculate SOC, they only use voltage at the terminals to estimate a value, your readings suggest this 'all in one' operates in the same way . Disregard the SOC reading.
A more reliable method would be to use a battery monitor.
If your battery read near 13 volts under a small load with no charging taking place its near full charged.
The 'all in one' will take continuous power even with no load, around 1 amp at 12 volts, around 300 watt hours per day. This is a big chunk out of your daily yield, especially in winter. This is a drawback of 'all in one' units.
With small loads the inverter efficiency will be low , thus needing more power than expected.

There is nothing wrong with your system , it's working as expected.

Once thebattery is considered full, the solar controller will drop to float volt but will continue to supply power to the system. Thus as loads vary, solar produced power will meet the demand, subject to the panel power limit.

On page 18 of the User Manual there is a "Boost Charge" time setting. (30/100/120/180 minutes) I am guessing the manufacturer is referring to what is also commonly called bulk charge. Your current setting is 30 minutes. That is a very short time for any appreciable solar charging.
The few controllers I have used do not base boost/bulk charge on time. They stay at boost/bulk until a certain voltage is reached, hold that value for a certain amount of time per the battery manufacturer recommendations, (absorb time), then switch to a float voltage value. SOC meters are generally useless. Do what Mike suggested to see what the true SOC is. Another method used is to disconnect one of the battery wires, wait three hours, then measure the battery voltage with a known accurate meter. Disconnect the solar panel before disconnecting the battery. A chart is attached. Increasing the boost charge time to a longer interval should improve your situation. It would be best to confirm this with the manufacturer.

AGM SOC.PNG

Last edited:
Epever use strange terminology, boost volts = absorbtion volts. The charger delivers full power from the panels until this 'target' voltage is reached.
Boost duration = absorbtion period. The charger holds the voltage constant at boost volts for this period. As suggested by NIFE 30 minutes is not long enough for AGM batteries, suggest changing to 2 hours.
When boost duration is completed. the charger voltage drops to float level.

Page 16, 17, 18 explain the settings for the switch to utility charging .

Last edited:
The 'all in one' will take continuous power even with no load, around 1 amp at 12 volts, around 300 watt hours per day.
[...]
There is nothing wrong with your system , it's working as expected.
Thank you for the explanation!

The manual specifies a 'no load consumption' of ≤1.2A. That would equal about 14.4W I think? So my nominal load would be slightly higher but not so much that it would explain the mere 2-3 hours I'm getting from my battery. Even at a load of 115W (my theoretical 100W load + 15W no-load consumption), shouldn't they last just under 7 hours on a 1560Wh (780Wh usable) battery? Or are my calculations wrong?

Also, I will look into a battery monitor. Although it wouldn't solve the issue with the EPEVER since there is not way to interface the battery monitor to the EPEVER in order to start/stop solar or utility charging at the correct SoC's. At least, none that I can see.

Last edited:
Page 16, 17, 18 explain the settings for the switch to utility charging .
Yeah I looked at the 'Auxiliary module ON/OFF' voltages but it seems i can not change them unless I use the 'user' battery preset.

If I'm going by the replies in this thread and the specs of the battery, these would be my guess for the settings in the 'user' battery preset (right-most column is what I think these values mean):

Boost charging duration120mBattery charging/boost duration
Auxiliary module ON voltage12.2V (approx 50% SoC)Battery voltage at or below which utility charging starts
Auxiliary module OFF voltage14.0V*Battery voltage at or above which utility charging stops
Boost charge voltage14.8VVoltage to use for charging when battery is (partially) discharged. (Battery specs mention 14.4V-15.0V)
Boost voltage reconnect13.2V*Battery voltage at or below which the boost charging kicks in
Float charging voltage13.8VVoltage to use for keeping the battery fully charged (Battery specs mention 13.5V-13.8V)
Low voltage disconnect12.0V (approx 40% SoC)Battery voltage at or below which the inverter will stop discharging the battery to protect the battery from being over-discharged.
Low voltage reconnect12.5V (approx 70% SoC)Battery voltage at or above which the inverter will be started up after a 'Low voltage disconnect' event
Over Voltage Disconnect16.0V*Battery voltage at or above which the charging will stop to to protect the battery from being overcharged.
Over Voltage Reconnect15.0V*Battery voltage at or below which the charging will resume after a 'Over Voltage Disconnect' event

The values marked with an asterisk (*) I am not sure about, I just used the EPEVER manual's default values for these.

Would these be safe and reasonable?

Last edited:
Auxiliary module ON voltage12.2V (approx 50% SoC)Battery voltage at or below which utility charging starts

I'd set it to 11v .

You've only got one AGM battery, they are not expensive , get using it

Last edited:
Low voltage disconnect12.0V (approx 40% SoC)Battery voltage at or below which the inverter will stop discharging the battery to protect the battery from being over-discharged.

Again I'd go 11v personally

It won't hurt your AGM to go below 50% , perfectly acceptable to take them down to 15%/20%soc

Last edited:
The AGM will drop volts when on inverter load, so without knowing how the battery responds, it's difficult to select a voltage that would be suitable for a switch to utility power. Note all the charts showing SOC and volts are for a resting battery.
The Ecobat EDC12 is a low cost generic AGM sold in Europe under many brand labels, its not a true deep cycle, so limiting the depth of discharge would help battery life.
My suggestion would be 11.8 volts to allow for inverter load.

The AGM will drop volts when on inverter load, so without knowing how the battery responds, it's difficult to select a voltage that would be suitable for a switch to utility power. Note all the charts showing SOC and volts are for a resting battery.
The Ecobat EDC12 is a low cost generic AGM sold in Europe under many brand labels, its not a true deep cycle, so limiting the depth of discharge would help battery life.
My suggestion would be 11.8 volts to allow for inverter load.

Screenshot_2023-06-19-12-26-35-416-edit_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg

From the datasheet

Don't believe that data. I have used similar batteries showing the same data. They had a short usable life.
It's important with these batteries to charge in the bulk phase at least 2C, say 25 amps for your single battery, and have adequate absorbtion time untill the current falls to 1%C at absorbtion volts, 14.7 volts.
In my experience AGM don't perform well in solar applications where daily cycle occurs, things may not be too bad in your application as you have utility power to , hopefully, fully charge the battery.

Back