diy solar

diy solar

Discharging too quickly?

Mrss2008

We had our solar panels and battery installed in August. I have set the battery to charge from the grid overnight which it seems to. However it appears to start to discharge almost immediately. I wouldn’t have thought the the fridge and freezer would use that much power to drop this much (see image below). We do charge the car at the same time as well. Any suggestions please? We have a SolisCloud 3kWp battery. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
Your load was at 3kW which is quite a bit.

We need more details about your battery, exact model and how many kwh.
Thanks. We have a SolisCloud battery, installed capacity 3kWp.
Model is 3101 or S5-EH1P3K-L
Battery is set to charge from the grid between 1230 and 0430 and the EV charger is also set to charge the car at this time which may explain the high load? Should I not run these both at the same time?! Thanks.

3kWp is not a capacity, it's an output, and those model numbers seem to be for an inverter, rather than a battery. So we need more info. kWh will be the capacity.

Don't take me as sounding rude, it's normal for a thread to start off with some blunt clarifications.

The battery should be near your Solis inverter. Possibly one or more boxes marked Pylontech, Dyness, Puredrive or Fox perhaps. Look at the model numbers and how many units are connected.

I have the same inverter as you, the S5-EH1P3K-L.

Charging the battery from the grid at the same time as you charge your car is fine, just as long as you stop charging the battery at the same time or later than you stop charging your car or the car will charge from the batteries and run them down.

Thanks both, much appreciated. We have a pylontech US300. I think it’s 5kWh.
And car charger and battery stop at the same time 😁

Attachments

• 1455fee1-c2e0-4889-a2b1-3531719bd512.jpeg
    1455fee1-c2e0-4889-a2b1-3531719bd512.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 9
5kwh?
The battery will only last your around 1 hour and half with your 3000watt load.
It's not 5kWh, it'll be a US3000 which is 3.6kWh. So about an hour with a 3kW load.

I've got two US2000 at 2.4kWh each. I want to add a US5000 which is 4.8kWh.

Charging an electric car + running the house... ufff depending the SOC of the car I guess you will need a minimum of 15KWh per day. I consume in my apartment 34kWh per day in average of course including 2 A/C units and I do not have an electric car to charge. I believe your batteries has been making a miracle.

Last edited:
I agree here, you do not have nearly enough battery capacity for th current settings.

What are your expectations? What do you want the battery to do?
How much PV solar panel power do you have? What is your typical energy usage?
Can you access your electric utility bills from before you went solar?

My house with just 2 people living here uses about 24 KWHs a day (a bit more in summer when the A/C runs).
My initial intention of adding a battery was to run off the battery from 4 pm to 9 pm (5 hours) because that is the "Peak Rate" time on my electric utility service. Because this is when the sun is going down, and we are making dinner, watching a movie, using a computer etc. I needed about 10 KWHs to safely cover that 5 hour time.

As for charging the battery, my PV solar panels make plenty of power from 9 am to 3 pm on clear days that I was exporting well over the 10 KWHs. So that is what now charges my battery. I just export less power instead of using more of the cheap time grid power. That Solis hybrid inverter says it has multiple modes to "maximize self-consumption" which is exactly what I am doing with my system. You may need to look in the setup menues to see how to configure it.

In your case, I think charging the EV overnight during a cheap rate grid time makes sense. But again, be sure you are not just sucking the battery dry to feed the EV.

Back