diy solar

diy solar

Two batteries to one inverter

Rbertalotto

Solar Enthusiast
I was just told by a service person at an inverter company that when using two 12V batteries in parallel you should connect the inverter to only one of the batteries, and not 12V+ to one battery and negative to the other......In every system I've installed I've always connected the two batteries with + to one and - to the other......Anyone know any more about this? This is a 1500w / 12v inverter....

Yes, both batteries paralleled, then inverter positive on one battery and negative on the other, or better still run leads from both batties to the inverter.

Huh???? Can you explain a bit more....
It's another way you can do it but not exactly better and probably more difficult to attach two cables to the inverter terminals. I believe their reasoning would be that with two cables of exactly the same length then you would ensure that both batteries are providing an equal amount of current. However that isn't difficult to achieve if your batteries are wired together with equal lengths of cable.

I was just told by a service person at an inverter company that when using two 12V batteries in parallel you should connect the inverter to only one of the batteries, and not 12V+ to one battery and negative to the other......In every system I've installed I've always connected the two batteries with + to one and - to the other......Anyone know any more about this? This is a 1500w / 12v inverter....
The person is wrong and the batteries will not provide power in a balanced method.

You want configuration #7

https://www.usbattery.com/configurations/

configuration_7.png

Some math to the logic: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

And the issue gets WORSE with very low resistance batteries such as lithium.

I was just told by a service person at an inverter company that when using two 12V batteries in parallel you should connect the inverter to only one of the batteries, and not 12V+ to one battery and negative to the other
Their crack habit is flaring up or there wasn't enough coffee in the system yet.

Back