diy solar

diy solar

Two seplos mason batteries in parallel & Solis inverter

Galway Bay

My setup is two seplos mason vertical batteries with 16 envision 305Ah batteries in each one, the BMS's are E10's. My inverter is a Solis S5-EH1P6K-L running firmware 470045.

I've a basic question on the inverter settings, in the photo below Seplos told me to change battery capacity from 208Ah to 305Ah but if I have two batteries in parallel should it be 610Ah ? The reason I ask is that my shelly is showing figures double that of the Solis so something is not right.

2024-01-29 07.07.09.jpg

Seplos also gave me the settings below for user defined battery, the i max discharge & charge of 60A seems a bit low, should it be 100A ?

Thank you 🙏

2024-02-04 19.41.42.png

You are correct, 600Ah for capacity and I would go with 200A charge/discharge and see how it goes.
Good, I'm not falling off the learning curve...yet!

I read the Solis hybrids are rated at 100A but don't sustain that, it drops to 50-60 -- not sure if thats all models though.

Is there a chance I could damage the inverter or batteries at 200A or will the BMS protect the cells?

Seplos also gave me the settings below for user defined battery, the i max discharge & charge of 60A seems a bit low, should it be 100A ?
I would go with 200A charge/discharge and see how it goes.

The S5-EH1P6K-L supports a maximum 100A charge and discharge (i.e. approx 5kW), so no gain in setting the self-use values to greater than that (if it even lets you).

I read the Solis hybrids are rated at 100A but don't sustain that, it drops to 50-60 -- not sure if thats all models though.

The Solis will reduce battery current if it gets too hot inside - this will obviously depend on ambient temperature, air flow over the heatsink and via the internal fans and length of time you are charging / discharging at that rate. Mine will discharge at 100A with no issues and, this time of year, hasn't got too hot.

@peufeu observed his EH1P restricted current down to about 70A (IIRC) when his inverter got to 70C degrees, but resolved that issue by adding some extra external cooling fans - see his posting below... (+ that whole thread may be of interest to you)

Is there a chance I could damage the inverter or batteries at 200A or will the BMS protect the cells?
Should be absolutely fine... the inverter is rated for 100A and will self limit if it gets too hot. The batteries will only be discharging at 50A each pack, so that is a trivial current for them. The LiFePO4's are able to sustain 0.5C discharge rate and varying charge rate depending on their temperature. The BMS _should_ restrict charge rate according to temperature and SOC - see my posting below and a table of charge rates that relate to the EVE LF280K cells, but I suspect that similar prismatics of the same chemistry should be treated in a similar manner.

In any case, a charge or discharge rate of 100A is only 50A per pack, which for 300Ah cells is only a rate of around 0.16C, which in turn is fine for charging if the cells are above 10C degrees, even if they are > 70% SOC.

If the BMS CAN bus is connected to the inverter, it should transmit the maximum charge current automatically and that should display on the inverter. Maybe you have to configure both the inverter and your Seplos BMS to use Pylontech protocol...

My 4x US5000's charge at 100A but when they're close to full charge the BMS tells the inverter to reduce current, as expected. I don't know if this feature is available with the User Battery mode.

My 4x US5000's charge at 100A but when they're close to full charge the BMS tells the inverter to reduce current, as expected. I don't know if this feature is available with the User Battery mode.
It is... the Solis responds to the CANBus charge/discharge demand from the battery when in user-defined mode. The charge / discharge value from the battery will trump the static values defined in the user-defined screen.

The request comes in CANBus Message ID 0x351

See full list of CANBus messages expected by the Solis in my posting here...

I've a further question on this;

I'm unsure what to set the FCC capacity to, see photo below, its set to 200Ah which I presume is just a default capacity..... I'm guessing its 305Ah because thats my cell capacity

Attachments

• IMG_9666.jpg
    IMG_9666.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm unsure what to set the FCC capacity to, see photo below, its set to 200Ah which I presume is just a default capacity.
I don't have a Seplos, but from what I picked up on other threads, you need to "do the training/calibration of the BMS" as detailed in the manual..

see also:-

I don't have a Seplos, but from what I picked up on other threads, you need to "do the training/calibration of the BMS" as detailed in the manual..

see also:-

yes thats next for doing all right, it says to charge/discharge at .5c but I'm unsure what my battery capacity is, is it 2 x 200Ah which is what the lcd display is showing or is it 2 x 305Ah which is the cell capacity - this is the part I find very confusing :confused:

yes thats next for doing all right, it says to charge/discharge at .5c but I'm unsure what my battery capacity is, is it 2 x 200Ah which is what the lcd display is showing or is it 2 x 305Ah which is the cell capacity - this is the part I find very confusing :confused:
actually it is not...
untill you have trained your bms, it use by default 100A as a capacity value...
you can get the to the actual value in 2 ways

1. train... preffered as it provides the actual AH's
2. set manually in the BMS under capacity

you have 2 boxes, 2 x 100 = 200A

actually it is not...
untill you have trained your bms, it use by default 100A as a capacity value...
you can get the to the actual value in 2 ways

1. train... preffered as it provides the actual AH's
2. set manually in the BMS under capacity

you have 2 boxes, 2 x 100 = 200A

Yes I'll the charge/discharge and it learns the full capacity, I get that part.

I don't understand where 100Ah is coming from, isn't each box 200Ah or even 305Ah ?

@houseofancients didn't say 100Ah; he said 100A. i.e. draw of current, not capacity of cells.

OK, a bit confusing.

In relation to the battery capacity, here is a screen shot of the app after the initial training has been done a few days ago.

Its showing the battery capacity 200Ah x 2 = 400Ah BUT my cells are 305Ah so why is it not showing battery capacity 305Ah x 2 = 610Ah ? - or do I need to set this in the parameters?

2024-03-05-21-02-11.png

Back