diy solar

diy solar

Two types of batteries two separate circuits, can this be done, charge controller one, feed # 2, so #2 can charge different batteries.

Blu

Nut shell, is this possible, see pix, again both different types of batteries each have their own circut/loads,

Attachments

• 16268761486825234992786177004487.jpg
    16268761486825234992786177004487.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 16
I can't completely decipher your schematic, but what you want to do is completely possible. If it was my system, I would use a DC-DC charger to charge bank #2 from bank #1.

Solar panels - charge controller - batt #1 - loads for batt #1.

Batt #1 would then go to a DC-DC charger - batt #2 - loads for batt #2.

How big of a system are you talking about? There are some SCC's that are made to charge 2 different battery banks.
As A.Justice recommends, using a DC-DC charger is a pretty common solution. Without knowing anything about the scale of your project, its hard to recommend a particular unit.

I have a friend who uses one of these for his 2 batteries:

Last edited:
One of these 12v in 12v out, and can i tap any 12 volt source, to isolate and charge 2nd set of batteries?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-122133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-122133_Chrome.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 3
One of these 12v in 12v out, and can i tap any 12 volt source, to isolate and charge 2nd set of batteries?
Are you averse to using products that are made to do exactly what you are trying to do?

The DC-DC chargers do what you are asking.

What benefit do you get from converting 12V to 12V? Trying to learn something here.

I actually just got some of those to play with a few weeks ago. They are super useful little gadgets, but I wouldn't under any circumstances use them to charge a large battery. I use one to run my 20 volt laptop from my 12 volt battery box.

Those are basically what a DC to DC charger is, but with absolutely no limiting or fail-safes. They would also take quite a while to charge a battery, and get very hot, unless it's a small cell.

Save the money and get a good DC to DC charger with settings. You can get something that will charge your batteries quickly and you won't have to worry about messing with it constantly. I got a 40 amp unit from Renogy, it charges incredibly fast, does it automatically, and I can set it and forget it. Use the coupon code EMPOWERED if you use Renogy, they gave me like $50 off and free shipping.

What im trying to do,, use excess solar power,from lead acid battery charging to charge 2nd set of batteries , that are different type,,( sealed), on a seperate circuit, ..or use up the wasted solar energy after first circuit is satisfied, 1st circuit is..500 watts,solar, on parallel charge controllers, ., 4 lead acid, 100 amp/hr each, powers pump house, batteries are almost always in float stage, except for a hour in mornings, i want to tap that excess power(,Float )to charge 3 -35amp hour sealed batteries, to light up barn, ..please tell me how to tap into all that wasted energy, to charge, seperate set, ..only thing side a and side b, would have in common would be solar charging,, would a simple battery isolater work( on solar panels),, solenoid? Diode?. add relay,, got to be a way to make this possible

I know this is a few weeks old but I have a suggestion and a few questions..
How far apart are these two structures and thus the battery banks??
If the solar is on the roof of the pump house do you use a DC pump or are you running an inverter for an AC pump??
Your best cheapest bet if these 2 buildings/battery banks are more then 10 feet apart is to get a small cheap AC inverter and put it in the pump house then run # 14 or #12 wire to the other battery bank and use an Ac to DC battery maintainer to keep the other battery bank charged unless you can scrounge a free emergency light gel cell charger somewhere.. The conversion to and from AC seems wasteful till you take into account that the DC will loose more per foot over distance then the AC will.. A $15 200w inverter and a $5 1 amp battery maintainer should be all you need.. You can connect it to the load terminals of the charge controller and this way you can shut it off the little inverter at night using the output logic.. I would not run 2 controllers as you suggest in your schematic because the lower voltage then the voltage drop of the wires will most likely not give you enough voltage to activate the other controller..

Back