diy solar

diy solar

Unexpected Solar Charging Behavior With SunGold Hybrid Inverter

greengolftee87

Hi All,

I'm using a SunGold SPH8048 which is a SNRE 8k hybrid inverter, 8kw of panels spread over the 2 MPPTs, and 400ah of SunGold 48v LFP batteries. My setup has been running for a few weeks now and I believe I have everything dialed in the way I want but there is 1 thing that seems off with charging the batteries. I'll try to describe below using a few scenarios.

1. During the day the solar charges the batteries fully and powers the house loads, then at night the batteries start to drain. In the morning when the sun comes out the batteries start to charge again. This is expected behavior and everything works.

2. During the day the solar charges the batteries fully then the house loads exceed solar production and the batteries start to discharge. This is also expected. HOWEVER, when the house loads drop back down, the batteries do NOT charge back up until the next morning. It's as if after the SOC reaches the fully charged limit it has to drop X% before the inverter will start charging again. I cant find any setting that would cause this. Is this built in to prevent short cycling of the batteries?

Thanks

And I thought only Growatt inverter or Voltronic based design has such dreaded 95%-100% SOC issue?

And I thought only Growatt inverter or Voltronic based design has such dreaded 95%-100% SOC issue?
Is this a closed loop communication issue?
My Growatt floats at 100% SOC, until the sun goes down.

Full battery. Post the settings. With this much sun, my nightly loads are usually replenished by noon on my small system. This isnt the case in the winter.

Is this a closed loop communication issue?
My Growatt floats at 100% SOC, until the sun goes down.
so does mine unless it gets cloudy and my loads spike. So lets say I drag the batteries down to 85% then the sun comes back out and my loads drop, the batteries do not start charging again.

This isn't the best example but it's what I have right now. I think the loads are AC kicking on and off which the solar cant quite handle so some power gets pulled from the batteries. then later when the AC is off and there is plenty of extra solar it does not recharge the batteries, it just covers the house loads. in this picture the batteries only get down to 89% but I've had them go further.

Attachments

• Solar recharge.PNG
    Solar recharge.PNG
    197.1 KB · Views: 3
so does mine unless it gets cloudy and my loads spike. So lets say I drag the batteries down to 85% then the sun comes back out and my loads drop, the batteries do not start charging again.
I see.
Mine starts charging as soon as there's enough production.
I guess Sungold does it differently.
Or possibly you are using closed loop?
And the BMS doesn't tell the charging to begin again.

Hi All,

I'm using a SunGold SPH8048 which is a SNRE 8k hybrid inverter, 8kw of panels spread over the 2 MPPTs, and 400ah of SunGold 48v LFP batteries. My setup has been running for a few weeks now and I believe I have everything dialed in the way I want but there is 1 thing that seems off with charging the batteries. I'll try to describe below using a few scenarios.

1. During the day the solar charges the batteries fully and powers the house loads, then at night the batteries start to drain. In the morning when the sun comes out the batteries start to charge again. This is expected behavior and everything works.

2. During the day the solar charges the batteries fully then the house loads exceed solar production and the batteries start to discharge. This is also expected. HOWEVER, when the house loads drop back down, the batteries do NOT charge back up until the next morning. It's as if after the SOC reaches the fully charged limit it has to drop X% before the inverter will start charging again. I cant find any setting that would cause this. Is this built in to prevent short cycling of the batteries?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
Here are my open loop settings for the 10KW version, I've been using them for a few MWh now with no issues. They might help you.
I think setting 37 is what you want to change.

Back