diy solar

diy solar

Unique propane refrigerator - on A/C

mvonw

Solar Addict
The Unique brand of off-grid propane refrigerators have an options to use them with 120volt AC. Does anyone run one of these this way? How much power do they consume? The manual says 300 watts… is that continuous ??

This isn't particularly unique when you consider RV refrigerators. These run off both Propane and AC. Some also run off 12VDC.

300W isn't continuous, but it's most of the time - about 2/3rds of the time depending on ambient.

These are absorption refrigerators.

Unfortunately, they are HORRIBLY inefficient. An absorption fridge uses 5-6X the energy of a comparably sized residential compressor fridge.

Here's what mine looks like cycling on and off:

1658122874225.png

That’s great information. I have been considering replacing my propane refrigerator with modern inverter refrigerator, just for that reason. I have lots of solar energy, and with the price of propane now, I think it finally makes sense.

That’s great information. I have been considering replacing my propane refrigerator with modern inverter refrigerator, just for that reason. I have lots of solar energy, and with the price of propane now, I think it finally makes sense.

I'm in the same boat as you - I have an older Unique propane fridge that is a smelly pain to deal with and I'm planning to upgrade this month to one of Unique's solar DC models:

Most consume around 600 Wh/day... much more efficient than your current model on AC.

Yeah, I'm tired of replacing the thermocouples. I've replaced 3 on mine. The mice love to nest under them and you have to watch out for fire hazard because of the open flame.

IMHO, those Unique DC fridges are vastly overpriced. If you already have AC power available, many 10 cu-ft 120VAC units available for ~$500 which use about 800Wh/day.

If you happen to have any specific models in mind, please link them! I have a heck of a hard time finding anything under 1000Wh/day, most seem to consume almost double what the Unique 10.3 unit reports. Cheers!

The single biggest fire risk in the RV is the propane fridge.
After watching one burn down a coach in an RV park, I swore I'd never have one again.
We've got a huge residential fridge in our latest RV and it's just so nice to have all that space. I really enjoy not having to even think about refilling the propane tank when we are on the road.

Might be the difference between US and Canada. I go to Home Depot's website and find a few ~10cuft readily available that fits the $500/800Wh

Yeah, might be a Can/US difference alright... I can't seem to find _any_ on Home Depot's Canadian site that operate in that range. In Canada all our appliances are giving an "Energy Star" rating that indicates the yearly energy consumption - and 800Wh/day is only 292 KWh/year. Even the most energy efficient models are reporting 400 KWh/year.

10.1 cu ft:

Energy star label:

297kWh/year

10.1 cu ft:

Energy star label:

297kWh/year
Thanks! That even more efficient and lower cost than the LG 11 cu ft I was looking at. And half the price.....

IMHO, those Unique DC fridges are vastly overpriced. If you already have AC power available, many 10 cu-ft 120VAC units available for ~$500 which use about 800Wh/day.
I’m going to figure out how to get power over there to watt-test it but I just bought a used “Haier” 10CF top-freezer model for $500. It came with a 900W microwave, two 3500# axles, a sink, electric “fireplace,” and some other odds and ends like a roof, windows…
Ya, I’m joking a bit. Just procured a 39’ camper trailer for storage. $500 with a bunch of stuff to sell and the fridge looks good but needs cleaning. I’m hoping it’s new enough to be low amp but old enough to have rear coils. Gotta pull it out and see. If too high wattage I’ll sell it cuz I’m exploring building one. My 5CF is only 60W but it runs a lot with its thin walls imho.

The single biggest fire risk in the RV is the propane fridge.
After watching one burn down a coach in an RV park, I swore I'd never have one again.
We've got a huge residential fridge in our latest RV and it's just so nice to have all that space. I really enjoy not having to even think about refilling the propane tank when we are on the road.
that is because the rv installers don't install them correctly and there was an issue with them in the last 10ish years? that required a recall.
Prior to this, absorption fridges have been quite boring, doing the job they are intended to do.
Unless of course you blatantly neglect it by operating it off level.
Plus the Amish use this style exclusively and you don't hear about their homes going up in flames.
@mvonw you gotta mouse proof things and even than one needs to go over these things seasonally or more depending upon the mouse population.

edit to update because I dont want to create a new post. there are a few things to lose sleep over and an absorption fridge isn't one of them.
I'm more concerned about a propane leak than my 30 year old absorption fridge going up in flames.

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread, but it's not usually installer related.
There have been numerous recalls by the manufacturers, at one point some were even having to recall the replacement units they shipped out when the fix proved to cause even more fires.

You can do everything right and still have defect that burns down the coach.

Yeah, might be a Can/US difference alright... I can't seem to find _any_ on Home Depot's Canadian site that operate in that range. In Canada all our appliances are giving an "Energy Star" rating that indicates the yearly energy consumption - and 800Wh/day is only 292 KWh/year. Even the most energy efficient models are reporting 400 KWh/year.
Check out the different way that US/Canadian energy consumption is measured and rated .....

Might be the difference between US and Canada. I go to Home Depot's website and find a few ~10cuft readily available that fits the $500/800Wh
There’s also defrost: manual vs frost free.
It seems like there’s nearly a hundred kWh difference per year comparing frost free to no defrost for the 10CF range.
On solar that isn’t huge that could be a big deal.

Most efficient way is take a chest freezer and use a inkbird temp controller and set it to 35deg. Cold air stays in even when you open the door. Then I use another chest freezer and set it coldest but have it shut off from 1am to 6am when I am on batteries.

So funny you just wrote this. I was literally just programming my new inkbird when I saw your note!

I just bought one of the Magic Chef 10 cf refrigerator. I didn’t even notice the wattage draw on my system it draws so little. A perfect replacement for my propane refrigerator. My cabin is over a 100 years old, so I’m going to have to finally run electric circuits into the kitchen!
For the price of Magic Chef, I could buy almost 7 of the propane refrigerators…

Back