diy solar

diy solar

Unique propane refrigerator - on A/C

IMHO, those Unique DC fridges are vastly overpriced. If you already have AC power available, many 10 cu-ft 120VAC units available for ~$500 which use about 800Wh/day.
You could buy a lot of propane for the cost of those Unique fridges.

You could buy a lot of propane for the cost of those Unique fridges.
Well, I will say the Magic Chef IS noisy. My unique is silent. I’ve never had solar as an option till last month when I finally inaugurated my 15kWp system. I may add some foam to dampen the noise.

may add some foam to dampen the noise
Foam is NOT a sound deadening material.
Plus where does it radiate off its higher temperature heat that it makes taking heat out of the fridge interior? Most use the sides unless they have a coil in back

If power is a issue and you want to get more efficient you can remove the exterior of the fridge and expose the wires and get away from freezer then even add more foam. I would be couriuo s to see before and after efficiency on a mod like this.

Foam is NOT a sound deadening material.
Plus where does it radiate off its higher temperature heat that it makes taking heat out of the fridge interior? Most use the sides unless they have a coil in back
I put a sound absorbing mat under the refrigerator (it's on a wood floor) and it made a huge difference. I barely hear it now.
This $299 refrigerator is bigger than my $1900 propane unit and now runs for free on solar. It uses so little power, I don't even notice the impact on the battery bank. It'll have paid for itself in a month or so..

10.1 cu ft:

Energy star label:

297kWh/year
I wish I’d bought that.

I find myself conflicted... Since posting that, the absorption fridge of that size in the other 5th wheel had a cooling unit failure... nothing like the smell of ammonia in the morning. I've since yanked it and walled the hole off with 2" foam board.

We're running the double fridge off mostly AC since it's the only major load and the new big battery can handle it, but part of me wants to install that or a similar fridge in the other unit even though we don't need it at all... biggest issue is convincing the wife it's a good idea, but she's not interested an anything less convenient than simply opening the double wide fridge when something is needed... :)

I find myself conflicted... Since posting that, the absorption fridge of that size in the other 5th wheel had a cooling unit failure... nothing like the smell of ammonia in the morning. I've since yanked it and walled the hole off with 2" foam board.

We're running the double fridge off mostly AC since it's the only major load and the new big battery can handle it, but part of me wants to install that or a similar fridge in the other unit even though we don't need it at all... biggest issue is convincing the wife it's a good idea, but she's not interested an anything less convenient than simply opening the double wide fridge when something is needed... :)
Oh, that's not one of my favorite smells, but a disgruntled wife is orders of magnitude worse!!

In my MotorHome I pulled out a Norcold (NeverCold) 1200, I replaced it with a Fisher & Paykel residential fridge. It was slightly narrower and a little taller. I had to get about 3” from the cabinet below. The Fisher &Paykel was a little shorter than the Samsung models than most people install in RV’s.

I love it! And my wife loves it more!

More room - better freezer, and it sips the watts.

This has been my favorite upgrade!

absorption fridge of that size in the other 5th wheel had a cooling unit failure...
Have you thought about JC Refrigeration conversion to 12V? $800ish

I wanted to buy components to build one from scratch but they ghosted me after telling my parts were on their site- which is either the compressors only, a couple controls, or the fridge/freezer full conversion kit. Disappointed me.

But I still think their stuff is good.

Have you thought about JC Refrigeration conversion to 12V? $800ish

I wanted to buy components to build one from scratch but they ghosted me after telling my parts were on their site- which is either the compressors only, a couple controls, or the fridge/freezer full conversion kit. Disappointed me.

But I still think their stuff is good.

It's a viable option, but I'm too much of a tightwad for that. I'd spend half as much on the fridge, and I'd have 35% more space.

Back