diy solar

diy solar

Unusual Generation in the Morning

BaldDave

I have a string with 6 panels facing east and 6 west. All are optimised. In bright sun in the morning - before around 9am typically, with no shadows - the whole string produces around 20W instead of well over 1000W. By noon, the string is generating 3000W…the same as a fully west facing string of 12. At low generation times, the voltage of that string is over 400…and falls when lots of power is generated. Any ideas of what’s going wrong?

I have a string with 6 panels facing east and 6 west. All are optimised. In bright sun in the morning - before around 9am typically, with no shadows - the whole string produces around 20W instead of well over 1000W. By noon, the string is generating 3000W…the same as a fully west facing string of 12. At low generation times, the voltage of that string is over 400…and falls when lots of power is generated. Any ideas of what’s going wrong?
Nothing may be wrong. A lower voltage when producing near max production is hitting the lower Vmp on the panel. A higher voltage (VOC) is natural in good sunlight when there are not enough photons hitting the panel in the early morning sun.

With panels in direct sun, I'm puzzled why so far north with east facing panels it is only 20 watts until 9 am. Are the panels shaded at all in the morning?

Nothing may be wrong. A lower voltage when producing near max production is hitting the lower Vmp on the panel. A higher voltage (VOC) is natural in good sunlight when there are not enough photons hitting the panel in the early morning sun.

With panels in direct sun, I'm puzzled why so far north with east facing panels it is only 20 watts until 9 am. Are the panels shaded at all in the morning?
No. That’s the strange thing. The west 12 can be producing 600W early so the 6 east on that east/west should be doing about 300, the east 6 should be around 1000. But instead of a total on the string on 1300…it’s 20!

Sorry typo…with the west 12 doing 600 the west 6 should be doing 300….total of east/west split string should be around 300+1000=1300, but it’s only 20. The east panels have no shadows on them until 4pm this time of year.

I have a string with 6 panels facing east and 6 west.
with the west 12 doing 600 the west 6 should be doing 300
Bit confused how many panels you have in each direction.

How are the East and West strings wired? You will need two strings, one for east and one for west, each attached to a separate MPPT input on your inverter for that configuration to work successfully.

Can you also confirm what inverter you have?

Is this a DIY install or has it been installed for you?

All panels on a series string should face the same direction.
I'm curious about your technical explanation of my setup (done by local company): one string with 18 panels, each equipped with own optimizer and connected to 1ph inverter (SolarEdge's OPs and the inverter).
The string spitted to east faced slop (2 panels), south slope - 6 panels and west slope - 10 panels.
Here is a sample of energy produced during one sunny day.
1716889021152.png1716889021152.png

The string spitted to east faced slop (2 panels), south slope - 6 panels and west slope - 10 panels.
If a company actually installed it this way. They have no business doing solar system installs.
You didn't say what panels you have. But I'm sure that they could be producing a lot more if installed correctly.
18 panels seems like a lot for one string.

It's a mix of 205W [Dasol DS-A3-205], 250W [Aventia AVN250EP-60] and 260W [Amerisolar AS-6P30] panels with own SE optimizers (MPPT). Total Vdc of the string is around 360VDC and 450VDC during clipping time as the inviter [SE3000] limited to make 3kWp.
I'm looking for technicality...

Last edited:
You do scare me !
I'm listening to technical details ...
Personally, I don't see any problem - each one is producing as much as the optimizer can pull from it; then the invertor is orchestrating the OPs to keep the string parameters. Total power/energy is correlating with sunlight direction and intensity ...
Where is the issue ?

Last edited:
Bit confused how many panels you have in each direction.

How are the East and West strings wired? You will need two strings, one for east and one for west, each attached to a separate MPPT input on your inverter for that configuration to work successfully.

Can you also confirm what inverter you have?

Is this a DIY install or has it been installed for you?
Thanks
Installed by a contractor.
PV1, 12 West
PV2, 6 West 6 East
PV1 is superb
PV2 doesn’t ’wake up’ in bright sun until around 9am, then jumps from 20W to around 300W then later, say 10:30 is fine until around 16:00. This time of year.
Inverter is 8KW but export limited to 6KW

In bright cloud, PV2 works better than bright sun before around 9am

I think there must be an intermittent optimiser failure. At 08:00 today, unusually good results….as you’d normally expect….PV2 (east 6 west 6 split), 2000 , PV 1 all 12 west 500. So that means 6 east approx 1750. Pretty good. But that’s very rare!

You do scare me !
I'm listening to technical details ...
Personally, I don't see any problem - each one is producing as much as the optimizer can pull from it; then the invertor is orchestrating the OPs to keep the string parameters. Total power/energy is correlating with sunlight direction and intensity ...
Where is the issue ?
I don't mean to scare you. I'm not saying that it's dangerous in any way. (Unless 18 panels exceed the VOC limit of the inverter)
It's just a very inefficient design. I hope you didn't pay too much for what you ended up with.

To clarify.
When panels are connected in series. (A string)
They act as one.
Placing them at different angles to the sun, is the same as shading some at all times.
Optimizers can help with shading. But should not be used to correct a bad design.
And mixing different panels only makes things worse. As all panels in a string can only be as good as the worst one.
(A chain is only as strong as its weakest link)

diy solar

diy solar
Back