diy solar

diy solar

Unusual installation

bones1

Interesting. I am at the point in the installation where I need your guys' help. I have the same breaker panel that Will uses in his video install and I have removed both bonding screws in the inverters as well. picture below. I notice that he has the green bonding screw installed and the grounds and neutrals tied together and his is not going to another panel or xfer switch, just outlets I believe. My setup is going out to a Generac panel with a built-in xfer switch, previously used for a generator.I have 2 hots and a neutral and ground going over to the xfer switch as it was wired for the generator at one time. Should I keep the small panel wired as is with the bonding screw and grounds and neutrals connected together or separate them and/ or remove the green bonding screw? From this panel, it goes to the large 200A home panel which has a built-in xfer switch. A link to the xfer switch panel, I don't think it's switching neutrals
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/5449manual.pdf
1659476679183.png

It looks like you have neutrals and grounds in the same bus bar in the pic. That is functioning as a neutral/ground bond.

You should only have one N/G bond in the house and that is normally in the main panel.

Edit: also why have a main breaker on the sub panel if you aren't going to use it?

So, separate the neutrals and grounds in the pictured panel. BTW, this is my panel. Will didn't use the main breaker in his setup, the smaller pic above so I didn't either. Maybe I should. The 60A breaker on the right go to the xfer switch in the main home panel, which is bonded service. Both internal inverter bonding screws are removed. I believe I have it wired so I can feed the transfer switch by inverters or generator. I wouldn't know how to do that using the 100A main but am open to suggestions. Thanks for looking. 1659821202749.jpeg

Last edited:
The ground bus in your panel is the thing on the top left with the bare aluminum wire.

Does your transfer switch or inverter do anything with the neutral/ground bond? Some inverters connect neutral and ground when off grid. Some transfer switched open just the to lines, some move the neutral/ground too.

I am 99 percent sure that the neutrals and grounds are not switched by the xfer switch. edit 100%.

Last edited:
So, separate the grounds and neutrals in my small panel?.

Last edited:
The grounds and neutrals should only be connected in one place. I don't remember the exact wording. It's either in your main panel or in your service entrance, which may be the same component for some.

Yes, they are connected in the main house 200 amp panel so I think I'll separate them in the small panel near the inverters.

Back