diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade to USB-C

kshaw

We have an off-grid solar system for campers using our lake pavillion. We currently have two outlets designed to fit in a standard electical box each having 5 ports for USB-A cables for phone and tablet charging. These two outlets are connected to 12v DC from our solar system. See bottom right of attachment. We would like to find some USB-C connectors to replace these two outlets so they would need to fit in our existing cuttout and powered by 12v. I cannot seem to find anything like that on Amazon. Does anyone have a source for something like this?

Attachments

• solar panel.jpg
    solar panel.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 26
have you heard of amazon? Measure existing socket order a replacement with USB C and verify its same diameter.

have you heard of amazon? Measure existing socket order a replacement with USB C and verify its same diameter.
Can't find one that fits a standard electrical box with 12v dc input. Do you have a link?

I could not find what you are asking for; however I see 3 round ports on bottom left of box could those be swapped out for a USB-C device

Where are you located? If those two boxes on the lower right are what you’re referring to, they don’t look like outlets from North America. If you’re from North America, I don’t believe what you seek exists. All the USB-A and USB-C outlets in a standard outlet size are powered by 120v to 12v converter internally.

If you want to be powered by 12v, then replace one or all of those three round ports on the bottom left like @Craig mentioned. I have one of those and it works well.

Where are you located? If those two boxes on the lower right are what you’re referring to, they don’t look like outlets from North America. If you’re from North America, I don’t believe what you seek exists. All the USB-A and USB-C outlets in a standard outlet size are powered by 120v to 12v converter internally.

If you want to be powered by 12v, then replace one or all of those three round ports on the bottom left like @Craig mentioned. I have one of those and it works well.
I actually have some USB type A ports that are 12 v and fit in a standard american outlet box and cover. I just do not see any type C ones.

USB C Car Charger Socket 12V USB Outlet 2 Pack – Ouffun Newest 58W RV USB Outlet Dual 20W PD USB-C and 18W QC3.0 Car USB Port with Button Switch Waterproof for Car RV Boat Marine Truck Motorcycle ect https://a.co/d/gEE8yLz

Should be the same diameter as the USB a holes. Easy swap in 10 min

I think those are weather resistant 120v duplex covers.

Ok, maybe a bad photo. The outlets looked too narrow to be North America.
Yes. Those are weather covers for the USB ports designed for 120v AC box but these ports are definitely 12v DC in and USB 5v DC output. I may go with just one of the outlets that Craig suggested and just leave the USB-A outlets alone. I just need to open the case and see how much room there is. This setup is in Maryland.

Back