diy solar

diy solar

USB-C "Chargeverter"

There are turn key USB power banks that can output more than 100W. USB C EPR supports 240W@ 48V 5A. However I think most things top out at 140W right now.

i don’t know if PPS (CV/CC charging profile among other things) is mandated to the voltage needed to charge 24V battery. Most likely not, though I’m sure the protocol supports requesting it. Would 140W USB chargers for 24V batteries be useful? Kind of slow.

There are turn key USB power banks that can output more than 100W. USB C EPR supports 240W@ 48V 5A. However I think most things top out at 140W right now.

i don’t know if PPS (CV/CC charging profile among other things) is mandated to the voltage needed to charge 24V battery. Most likely not, though I’m sure the protocol supports requesting it. Would 140W USB chargers for 24V batteries be useful? Kind of slow.
Just to be pedantic:
USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) is not specific to USB-C. It is totally possible to do USB-PD over NON USB-C cables, it's just rare.

USB-PD is spec which defines the protocol for source and sink to negotiate power over USB. It allows for more than the old 7.5W maximum, and has a variety of profiles at different voltages (like 5A at 20V). IIRC, USB-PD is required for USB-C devices, while not required for USB-A/B devices, and there are a TON of cheap US-A communication chipsets that just do power the old way.

Just to be pedantic:
USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) is not specific to USB-C. It is totally possible to do USB-PD over NON USB-C cables, it's just rare.

USB-PD is spec which defines the protocol for source and sink to negotiate power over USB. It allows for more than the old 7.5W maximum, and has a variety of profiles at different voltages (like 5A at 20V). IIRC, USB-PD is required for USB-C devices, while not required for USB-A/B devices, and there are a TON of cheap US-A communication chipsets that just do power the old way.
I thought there were no dedicated power signaling pins on USB-A. How does it work, resistance based on the data pins?

I have a OnePlus that I believe comes with an e-marked 9.1A USB-A cable and fast charger.

When I wrote the above, I had a vague memory of a few StackExchange posts talking about this. I went back and found a (new to me) post that does a pretty good job of explaining it:
tl;dr: USB Power Delivery doesn't require the CC lines of a USB Type-C cable, it can also communicate over the power line.

When I wrote the above, I had a vague memory of a few StackExchange posts talking about this. I went back and found a (new to me) post that does a pretty good job of explaining it:

OK thanks. Diabolical.

I guess what happens on these Chinese phones is that they implement both BFSK and BMC, which is both code compliant and customer friendly. Since I can use both the USB-A charger they provide (who knows why they stick with A, this is going to result in extra e-waste in a few years vs if they just shipped a universal USB-C charger. I guess they want to make money on their upgraded USB-C charger), and USB-C chargers, without losing performance. And I'm pretty sure the charging profile is just a non-mandatory one, still represented correctly in the USB-PD protocol.

Randomly off-topic but after getting one of these "High current @ 7V-10V PPS" charging philosophy phones, I prefer them to the Apple design. The phone actually manages thermals way better than Apple despite the Apple being at much lower charge speed. Presumably in part because there is minimal voltage regulation going on inside the phone generating heat.

Back