diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading BMS, but Noticed the Busbars

StealthGTI

Hello. It's been a while since my last visit. This group helped me discover a few things about my Victron 12|12-30 DC-DC charger. I imagine a lot of you are as anxious as I am to acquire the new 12|12-50A. But that's not where my question is headed. My current setup consists of 4x 100-Ah 3.2V Fortune LiFePo4 cells for 12.8V, RadioB Tech 4S 120A BMS, Orion-Tr 12|12-30 DC-DC Charger, 4-gauge OFC wire between starter battery and back of car, and 8-gauge OFC wire between main relay in trunk and DC-DC charger. I will upgrade the 8-gauge wire to 4-gauge before installing the 12|12-50A. Here's a somewhat recent photo, taken before the new inverter installation:

LiFePo4_Overview-07-SQ-1920.jpg

I'm looking to upgrade my BMS since I've added a 3000W pure sine wave inverter to my mix. I thought a 200A RadioB Tech BMS would get me close enough since the inverter manufacture recommends running below 2500W for regular use. But I noticed that 200A is the limit for the Fortune battery cells. So, then I considered a 150A BMS to give me a buffer of safety for the battery cells. Realistically, I'm not going to run my inverter beyond 2000W. But then I noticed that the busbars are rated for 150A. See the specs HERE. 150A is still good for 1900W... or 2500W when the engine is running and the DC-DC charger is helping.

But my question is about the busbars. When the specs say that the busbars are rated for 150A, does that mean they blow open just above that? Or is 150A what they can tolerate for extended periods? Is a 150A BMS sufficient to protect the 150A busbars? I don't need them to become fuses. ;-) I'm content to manage my consumption by limiting the demand on the inverter. My existing 120A BMS still supports 1500W with the engine off... short periods, of course.

Here's a drawing for those who may be interested. It's a work in progress:

LiFePo4-FBD-20240302-150A.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Like wire. Rated for 150 amps max, and 80% of that on a continuous basis. Exceed that, and they can overheat.

Bms protects the battery, not the busbar. It will let 150 amps in/out on a continuous basis, which exceeds your busbar rating.

Back