diy solar

diy solar

USE-2/Photovoltaic Wire/Solar Panel Wire.... what's so great about it?

coreyzev

Cant really search for this because of the common words in the subject, so I'm asking y'all.

What makes this type of wire necessary? USE-2/Photovoltaic Wire/Solar Panel Wire

And where is a good place in the US to get it from?

Thanks
Corey

Well I buy "solar wire" (actually I never heard of it, but...) with MC-4 connectors on because it's been a few decades since I enjoyed making cables.

PV wire is regular wire with a second, protective layer. This extra (usually very stiff) layer provides weather and UV (sun) protection. You can search Amazon for "solar cable". But just like your other wire do make sure you are getting high quality pure copper stranded wire. Or order it from the place you got your solar panels.

WindyNation has bulk and premade solar wire. Strand count isn’t that high.
SOME welding cable seems to do ok outside (my 8ga to the 12V fuse box is welding cable that is exposed for three feet; about four years in its still supple and intact but I was nervous about using it initially. I should just cover it in split loom or something)

If you crimp your own cables always use pairs of the same brand/source. I’ve found that while any MC4 should be the same, one brand into another works fine electrically but ain’t always water tight.

Back