diy solar

diy solar

Using 17 cells in serie instead of 16 anybody tried?

wattooo

Hello everyone, I have a bunch of old Calb 200Ah batteries that come from an electric car, the internal resistance in quite high but capacity is still excellent. They cannot be used in a car anymore because they cannot handle high rate of discharge. I am thinking of using them as home storage on a 48 V Victron system. My question is about wear and tear, as my batteries are already old, I feel that I should not ask too much of them and I am Thinking of using them in series of 17 instead of 16 leaving the Victron 48V settings as is. The result I am hoping to get is greater protection on overcharge and overdischarge and a longer life.
Anybody ever tried this?

Do you have enough to parallel 2 or more cells for 16s2p ?
That would also reduce the discharge rate for each cell...

Victron likely has enough design margin to handle the higher voltage. Chinese inverters often have little to no margin with their battery input capacitors voltage rating of 63v and marginal MOSFET breakdown voltage ratings.

You should tape battery positive and negative cables together in parallel for as much of their length as possible. This reduces the series inductance of battery cables reducing surge currents induced voltage ringing at inverter DC input. Some overshoot/undershoot ringing is normal and is why the inverters need some overhead margin on input capacitors and MOSFET's voltage ratings.

Last edited:
Back