diy solar

diy solar

Using an inverter properly.

Roop

Do I need to isolate the controller from the battery when using an inverter that is connected directly to the battery?
My controller is a cheapo 10A 12v so I am assuming it'll overload the controllers 'load' output.

Connect the inverter direct to the battery. Load control is generally for a low power item such as a light or need to control a relay for larger items.

Actually, that doesn't quite answer my question. I mean do I need to disconnect the battery charger function of the controller from the battery when the inverter is delivering power?

No you don't need to disconnect the controller.

The power will flow over the connections towards the source of the draw (the inverter) not towards the controller.

You could always use a mini din style breaker or a fuse in between for extra assurance.

Midnite solar makes great breakers and I've had good luck with Nader/ASI breakers as well.

Thanks. I'm visualising the scenario where the controller is augmenting power delivery from the battery to the inverter and not the inverter 'pulling the controller down' to a point where it might shut down the controller completely.
BTW, the controller can be disconnected from all three (panel/batt/load) with DP switches. I just wondered if I needed to knock them off before powering up the inverter.

If the battery is pulled down enough to shut down the controller..... the battery is flat dead and probably the inverter will shut down first.
Controller should work down to maybe 8 volts. Controller should be always on.

The controller wont overload.
It will output what it is rated for if it is drawn, if more is needed battery drops.

If the battery is pulled down enough to shut down the controller..... the battery is flat dead and probably the inverter will shut down first.
Controller should work down to maybe 8 volts. Controller should be always on.
Well my cheapass controller shuts the load off at 11.1v. I can use the inverter direct from the battery and drop it more but I'll still testing the rather poor limits of the controller.
As my load is less than 10A I am deliberatley using the controller load out. for now.

Yes the controller load control will have a higher voltage cut off to save the battery. Controller is still working.
Load control is usually for something small such as a light that runs overnight. Inverter would generally be connected direct on the battery.
And 11.1 is low enough that the power probably should be cut. Need more battery and more solar. Probably 2x or more.

Back