diy solar

diy solar

Battery isolation while using an inverter.

Roop

I have the most basic 12v/10a kit from ecopower/solar or whatever they are called.
I have a 600W inverter connected directly to my battery (through a shunt). This will charge my ebike battery which, while not the kits intended purpose, is one of mine.
I was advised to totally isolate the charge controller from the batt when using the inverter. So I have, but the battery is not being charged during this time. It's not pulling 6amps (according to the shunt) depending on the battery's charge. The controller load output is 10A. Could I not simply run the inverter through that as it's not pulling 10A or doesnt it work like that?
Oh, when I did reconnect all the breakers to the controller I got a fast flashing LED which could mean anything as the instructions are pretty terrible.
Obviously, I would want to have the battery charging all the time to take advantage of the miserable overcast we get here on a regular basis. At least it's not raining.
Am I in need of a beefier controller?

Not exactly clear what the system components are or are doing. Add model numbers, or a diagram, or pictures.

In general you can use a charger and an inverter at the same time.

In general you can use a charger and an inverter at the same time.
As long as you are not creating a loop.

In RV’s if you use the inverter to activate all 120v plugs, but the battery charger is on one of those plugs, you create a perpetual electric loop - and we all know how “good” perpetual motion is😎.

But other than that use the charger and the inverter at the same time.

This is the kit: https://uk.eco-worthy.com/products/...t9qG71UwRBX7TLWJLu8mh_lRH2aMVxyAz00WY9fXBPbno

It's set up as intended. The load output is not connected to anything.
The battery, as stated, is isolated from the charge controller when I'm using the inverter. This is where my quandary lies. While I was charging my bike it was very sunny for a change. My point in the OP is why can't it be charging the battery at the same time.

1. Someone on the forum
2. No. there is no reference to connecting anything other than 'a 10A load'.
3. Putting a lightbulb on it isn't specific enough an instruction. What I can say is when I connect all the breakers, i.e., allow the charge controller 'access to the battery' I get a fast flashing light. I suspect that means either a charge overload or a short circuit although the instructions are bollocks so I'm not sure.

As the appliance is only drawing 6A I've successfully used the inverter through the charge controller load output. So it will charge from a panel while discharging the battery.

3. Putting a lightbulb on it isn't specific enough an instruction. What I can say is when I connect all the breakers, i.e., allow the charge controller 'access to the battery' I get a fast flashing light. I suspect that means either a charge overload or a short circuit although the instructions are bollocks so I'm not sure.
Flashing light on what device (charge controller, inverter, ???), and what light is flashing?

Show us what you have or we can only guess. In the meantime, this simple graphic I found on the internet shows how you should wire up the system. Connect the inverter directly to the battery, not the load port.
maxresdefault.jpg

QDog, in your image I have breakers between the panels and the controller and the battery and the controller. Other than that, my setup is as shown.
My original question was; do I put the charge controller 'under stress' (or using Rocketmans' parlance, a 'loop') by having an active load on the inverter while the controller is feeding power to the battery from the panels.
Your image would suggest not.

You can charge the battery while the inverter is in use. The charge controller doesn't feed power to the battery. The battery draws the power it needs from the PV panels.

You can charge the battery while the inverter is in use. The charge controller doesn't feed power to the battery. The battery draws the power it needs from the PV panels.
Noted and tested as such.

Back