diy solar

diy solar

Using my solar generator to pump a 55 gallon drum of honey

Great video. However your pallet mount panels make me nervous, they could easily fly away with a decent gust of wind. Not even ballast on the pallets to hold them down.

During the great Houston freeze I parked my panels in front of my garage. Because of the cold I briefly went inside to grab some gloves before securing the panels, and by the time I returned they flipped over and broke the mounts.

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 17
  • Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
How about a discussion of WHY honey is being pumped?

The more ya know!
Commercial beekeepers store honey in 55 gallon food safe drums. The drums weigh about 700 lbs when full. Almost all honey granulates. So overtime the drum of honey into a big sugar cube. Gentle heat can take the granulation and liquefy the honey. At that point the honey can be pumped. To try to move the honey any other way would more than likely have a bad outcome.

Great video. However your pallet mount panels make me nervous, they could easily fly away with a decent gust of wind. Not even ballast on the pallets to hold them down.

During the great Houston freeze I parked my panels in front of my garage. Because of the cold I briefly went inside to grab some gloves before securing the panels, and by the time I returned they flipped over and broke the mounts.
I have been nervous about the solar panels on pallets. But they are sheltered by winds from a couple directions. I have had some 50 mph winds and they have been fine. I live in MN so the panels are exposed to a variety of weather. I do have roof mounted solar and 28 panels on a ground mount system. I have never had any problems with them.

I'm a fan of pallets.
Looks like a couple 2x4s (depicted in black), a handful of screws and some "L" brackets (red) will remedy the blowing away issue.
HoneyMan.PNG

Or, you could just get some angle brackets, and tap on them to the floor.
Yep, could use concrete anchors but they are permanent. Wood patches a bit easier in case the panels are relocated.
Freeze/Thaw will possibly blow the daylights out of the beautiful finish on the floor. MN gets perty cold.

With the weight of the panels, would take a lot of wind to blow them over I'd imagine. I've not experienced winter yet with my pallet mounted panels. But in winter, I would lay mine down more flat and up against a wall.

1654688880959.jpg

With the weight of the panels, would take a lot of wind to blow them over
I thought that too so elected to briefly go inside before securing the panels. It wasn't even a particularly windy day. The panels are heavy, relatively flat, and protected by the garage from a north wind, but they still lifted and rotated around the hinge. Picture was taken shortly before the panels blew over.

Attachments

• Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 4
Back