diy solar

diy solar

Valence XP Super Thread

Hi Travis

So I’m in the uk , our electricity prices went through the roof so I’ve installed 10kw of solar panels and the 10 36xp set up described above , fully charged it sits at 216v the battery bank is hooked up to a solax hybrid inverter x1 g4 , it basically means on anything but the dullest of days I’ve enough juice in the batteries to see me through till the next day. In the summer it was excellent but now the shorter days are coming in I have to top up the batteries twice a week or so .
That's awesome. So your inverter, does it require any communication with the batteries BMS? Electricity here is $0.50kwh usd. I got a great deal on my system and it paid itself off in only 2 years. I'm really curious about your inverter though, I was reading the specs and I like what I'm seeing. How much do they cost?

That's awesome. So your inverter, does it require any communication with the batteries BMS? Electricity here is $0.50kwh usd. I got a great deal on my system and it paid itself off in only 2 years. I'm really curious about your inverter though, I was reading the specs and I like what I'm seeing. How much do they cost?
So the inverter (x1 7.5d ) was around £1500 .

So the inverter is currently set in lead acid mode , you can set all the correct charge parameters, this way it doesn’t need canbus comms with the inverter . I’ve got the correct valence UBMS programmed for my set up which controls a relay to disconnect so I’m confident in the set up . I’ve got the canbus usb dongle and regularly check the batteries with the valence c&m software and they’re all really well balanced .
There’s a French guy that’s well clued up with these systems that sent me the configuration file for the BMS . He’s developed a canbus bridge to go between the inverter and the ubms , ( he purchased an inverter same as mine after I told him about them) he sent me the canbus bridge but it didn’t work as expected on my system so he’s trying to figure that out .
To be honest it’s run really well as it is for the last 4 months , I’d just like to get the info easily into home assistant from the valence ubms .
Cheers for now

So the inverter (x1 7.5d ) was around £1500 .

So the inverter is currently set in lead acid mode , you can set all the correct charge parameters, this way it doesn’t need canbus comms with the inverter . I’ve got the correct valence UBMS programmed for my set up which controls a relay to disconnect so I’m confident in the set up . I’ve got the canbus usb dongle and regularly check the batteries with the valence c&m software and they’re all really well balanced .
There’s a French guy that’s well clued up with these systems that sent me the configuration file for the BMS . He’s developed a canbus bridge to go between the inverter and the ubms , ( he purchased an inverter same as mine after I told him about them) he sent me the canbus bridge but it didn’t work as expected on my system so he’s trying to figure that out .
To be honest it’s run really well as it is for the last 4 months , I’d just like to get the info easily into home assistant from the valence ubms .
Cheers for now
That sounds awesome. Especially like and appreciate the high voltage battery. Did you utilize the precharge ability of the UBMS? I had to with mine because if I connected My 516 volt battery to my inverter without pre-charging it literally explodes things.

That sounds awesome. Especially like and appreciate the high voltage battery. Did you utilize the precharge ability of the UBMS? I had to with mine because if I connected My 516 volt battery to my inverter without pre-charging it literally explodes things.
I haven’t used the pre charge ability , and not had any ill effects , I guess my battery bank has a lot less energy than yours though !
So you have around 40 of the 12xp in series? That’s a fair amount of energy storage , does that easily cope with your energy needs ? I guess you have plenty of solar panels to keep things charged ?

Cheers

I haven’t used the pre charge ability , and not had any ill effects , I guess my battery bank has a lot less energy than yours though !
So you have around 40 of the 12xp in series? That’s a fair amount of energy storage , does that easily cope with your energy needs ? I guess you have plenty of solar panels to keep things charged ?

Cheers
You should really consider using a pre-charger. It's super simple to hook up. It's especially important with the high voltage.

I use about 16 KWH per 24hrs. That's half of what my PV can bring in. That's four time less than the battery bank size. But I always get some PV power even on rainy days I'll harvest 3 to mostly 10kwh. So this puts me to getting through 10 to 30 cloudy days before I run out. I'm in Hawaii, the tropics, Normally takes about 30 days before running out even during monsoon season because we'll get sunny days mixed in then I'll finally need to run the generator. I took the 220 volt DC output of my Prius and ran it over to the solar panel with a switch so anytime I can start up the Prius and my system thinks it's a solar panel. Burning the gas in the Prius cost the same $0.50kwh as electric company would have charged and burns half the fuel as the Honda EU 2000i but silently with no smell, easy seldom oil change and easy drive to refuel. I've had to run the Prius twice in the last 4 years and it was in the end of those dark December's when I had lots of company over running the electric clothes dryer.
My batteries are normally full by 10:00 a.m. I can harvest 40 KWH in a day if I have somewhere to put it like the electric cars. All this in a small unfinished cabin in the jungle. Still need to work on my rain catchment filtration, hot water system and build a house that doesn't use power strips and a tangle of extension cords.
Think we are a bit off topic so if we keep talking let's do it in a p.m. or in a different thread that's more subject mattered for talking about our systems.

I think the Module Diag program you refer to only really works with the 12v and 24v versions of the batteries, I too have the 36v version and I have managed to set the battery ID's with the program but that's all it will allow.
Out of interest would you part with any of your 36v batteries ? I have 10 set up in a 5s 2p configuration and id like at least 5 more maybe more!

Cheers

Matt
Hi Matt

I have these batteries for sale if your looking any, these are taken out of test bus's that have only done very little cycle's

Hi Matt

I have these batteries for sale if your looking any, these are taken out of test bus's that have only done very little cycle's
Hi there , yes I’m interested , whereabouts are you ? And what sort of price are you looking for , probably take 10 if the price is decent. How many have you got ? Cheers

For the information of anyone trying to use a 'Fusion5' tablet (possibly also any other Android based Windows10 installation) with the Valence Diagnostic app ('ModuleDiagG2.exe'), once installed I found the app wouldn't work even if the com port number was correctly set and a path for the logging files also set - the app kept coming up with an error essentially saying it can't access 'ModuleDiagG2.config' due to inadequate user rights (or something similar). In the end realised I had to go to the Properties for 'ModuleDiagG2.config' in Windows Explorer and under the Security tab, change the Permissions for *all* 'Group or User Names' to 'Full'. After that, not only did the app populate the com field with available com ports (including the correct one for the attached Valence module/s USB dongle) but tit also automatically completed the logging file path (set to the valance app's location).

I had a thought yesterday as to how to get the basic Valence Diagnostic app 'ModuleDiagG2' to record parameters from a string of modules using a mouse recording macro app. It's rather 'clunky' but may work well enough.

My thinking was that having set a path for the recording file and set 'Recording Interval...' to 1 second you could record a macro that simply went through all the modules, one at a time, clicking on the 'Start Record' and 2 seconds later the 'Stop Record' (I'd use the 'Single Sample' button but it didn't work for me and kept throwing odd errors), then click on the Module ID which produces the Module ID selector drop down, click on the next Module number (which avoids the need to stop and start the 'reading') and then repeat for all the modules in your string.

It appears that the file output all ends up in the one file, appending each record to the end of the existing file - I think the file is named for the first date/time you create a file for the latest instance of running the diagnostic app. Ie, if you exit the app and then start it again and then start recording, a new file will be created based on the date and time you just clicked 'Start Recording'... if that makes sense.

This would, of course mean having the 'ModuleDiagG2' window the same size and location on your desktop each time you ran the recording...

I'll try it out when I get some time.

Hi there , yes I’m interested , whereabouts are you ? And what sort of price are you looking for , probably take 10 if the price is decent. How many have you got ? Cheers
Hi, I have hundreds of these they have all been tested and have 90% soh, they are like new, I'm only looking £500 each to sell them quickly, I have an independent battery company testing them too, when they finish I'm going to put these on eBay, do you know where I can get the read software for Mac, I can only get the windows version, thanks Dee

(Apologies: I thought we were talking about 12V modules, here. So...) Given that off-the-shelf modern battery storage can be bought for £200/kWh (including BMS) or less, asking £500 for ~1.5kWh seems a bit excessive especially so considering the BMS in these is next to useless short of spending another £1k or more to obtain one of the get-around systems out there. So, £150-250/module seems a more reasonable figure. Just MO, of course. Try them at £300 and see what happens…?

Last edited:
Yeah £500 each is way over the top but hey they are yours to do with as you wish , I got mine on eBay at a very keen £90 a battery I bought 10 , I wish I’d have bought more but I wasn’t sure if they would be useful at the time of purchase.
Are yours the u27-36xp batteries ? Fancy putting up a picture or two ?

Yeah £500 each is way over the top but hey they are yours to do with as you wish , I got mine on eBay at a very keen £90 a battery I bought 10 , I wish I’d have bought more but I wasn’t sure if they would be useful at the time of purchase.
Are yours the u27-36xp batteries ? Fancy putting up a picture or two ?
Valence Power U-Charge P30-36C

These are not cheap lithium cells from back street Chinese sellers, I'm I not right In saying these are of the highest quality you can get, any new high quality lithium per kWh is £1000, these are like new.

!!!! I had made a mistake on the price of these my bad, we are selling these at £140 each !!!!
My apologies ?

Last edited:
(Apologies: I thought we were talking about 12V modules, here. So...) Given that off-the-shelf modern battery storage can be bought for £200/kWh (including BMS) or less, asking £500 for ~1.5kWh seems a bit excessive especially so considering the BMS in these is next to useless short of spending another £1k or more to obtain one of the get-around systems out there. So, £150-250/module seems a more reasonable figure. Just MO, of course. Try them at £300 and see what happens…?
My mistake, I was looking at the wrong price for these, we deal with thousands of lithium batteries every week.

!!!The price for these is £140 each!!!

Hi Travis

So nice just purchased 6 more batteries so I’ll deffo have to set up the pre charge , if you wouldn’t mind dropping me a line as I could use a pointer or two ! Thanks

P30-36C are 36v X 30ah so not same capacity as the 12/24/36v u27's which are closer to 50ah so £140 per kWh

Meant to say 12v is 136ah 24 are ?? And.the 36v are 50. Either way they are all roughly 1.7kWh

Back