diy solar

diy solar

Valence XP Super Thread

Yeah I've been wrestling with windows drivers and trying to find the software and all the .NET stuff.

I started a thread in the general battery discussion area, and perhaps it would have been better posted here, as it concerns Valence U27-XP batteries and diagnostics reporting an erroneous state of charge. I don't want to double-post the thread, so here is a link to it: Can I fix it?

I've had the same problem before. I was able to clear the red light and error by opening the access to the balance board, and disconnect the balance cable for a minute, then reconnect it. As long as the error is not still occurring, it should clear out.
I just had the same problem. Thanks so much, this fixed it!

I purchased some gently used U24-12XP batteries and wanted to share my positive experience modifying/using these with a non-Valence external BMS.

First I opened the side waterproof compartment to locate the 4S balance wires:
View attachment 107578

Was very happy to see it was similar to a traditional 6S JST balance connector.
View attachment 107579

So I removed the proprietary Valence BMS cables (saved them) and pulled the JST-like connector through the same hole. Then I sealed up the holes to make them waterproof again. All of this is removable and the battery can be returned to the factory Valence configuration easily.

View attachment 107580

All sealed up and ready to be connected to my BMS of choice!

View attachment 107581

Some initial cell readings before charging/balancing:

View attachment 107582
Is this really all it takes to add an external BMS to these things!!??? I have two in parallel.

Hi, I found one of my batteries U27-12XP is reporting approx half or real voltage. Did anyone experience this issue ?

See attached screenshot. When I measure by voltmeter each cell, I got 3.1V and 12.2V total on main terminals. This is annoying since it is reporting under-voltage to the main BMS and shut-down the whole system.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• half_voltage_issue.jpg
    half_voltage_issue.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Another question on my mind: is a possibility to update the firmware in internal battery BMS/balancer (U27-12XP) ?

Last edited:
Thank you for running this thread.

I have 8 of these that I bought new a long time ago, along with all of the control stuff.

Got pretty far but had to put the project on hold - time to re-start.

Thanks

Thank you for running this thread.

I have 8 of these that I bought new a long time ago, along with all of the control stuff.

Got pretty far but had to put the project on hold - time to re-start.

Thanks
Same here. I've been postponing this project for a couple years now. It will take me some time to catch up with the discussions and research shared in this and other threads. Everyone's generosity is greatly appreciated, hopefully I'll be able to give something back to this community once I make can make some progress on my end.
Did anyone "play" with the drivetrain from the Edison trucks? I have that as a side project but couldn't find much on it a couple years back when I first started looking into this.
Thanks

I bear my testimony.
I have 12+3 Valence XP-24 batteries built in 2008, I use them every day on my PV;
I'm not capable of doing anything in computer science and therefore I use them without any software in a series of 4 and parallel of 3 or 48V 300A, almost all of them have always had the red light on, but they work perfectly.
I use them with EASUN 5.6 KW inverters without any management software,
the batteries all work great without problems (First with another MPP-Solar 4KW inverter).
the other three: 1 on a yard sweeper,
2) decoder and ADSL router power back-up
3) garage power supply and emergency battery for my cars.

Would any of you be kind enough to explain to me how I could read their status today, I repeat they are all fully functional and with at least 70% capacity.
Only if you have the patience to explain it in simple words that I understand, Thank you

I'm new to this group and hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, if so I appoligize in advance if I've posted this in the wrong area. I've read most of the supegroup postings over the last year, but this is my first time trying to communicate publically and not sure how to use this site. I will try to keep it brief.

I'm looking for someone to flash (reprogram) a BMS-LV Rev2 for my 2s2p configuration of four U27-12xp modules. Any idea what a fair price would be?
I've tried contacting Valence at Valence.com (https://www.lithionbattery.com) , and have left voicemail three times for Valence Sales and Support without any replys. I've also been unsuccessful in trying to find instructions on how to program the U-BMS-LV part number 1004443 on my own

I've been using the four U27-12XP's in a small off-grid house without a BMS for the last two winters. I do have a loptop connected to the batteries to monitor the cells and allow intra-module balancing, but from what I understand there is no inter-module balancing by just connecting the laptop, so I added a cheap Amazon battery balancing device but it seems painfully slow top balancing the modules.

I'm a retired master electrician / computer analyst living off grid since 2002 I didn't realize the U-BMS had to be flashed with the configuation of the batteries to work correctly. I thought it would be similar to the BMS in my other off-grid system with LiFePO4 batteries.

Thank you so much for your time,
Steve M,

Hi All,

I have 4 XP27s in parallel at my cabin with solar charging and generator if needed. Lately they get down to 12.9v in morning before sun hits. Are they being hurt by this?

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Screenshot_20231009_153036_Drive.jpgAre you curious how old your battery is? Just decode the serial number. It's a little white sticker on top of your battery. But old enough, who cares about the month anyway. Right in the serial number shows the year so there's not much to decode. You just have to know which number to look at. The year will be just after the R1 or the R2 or R3 exedra. My battery's came out of a truck that was built and sold just after the manufacturer sticker date of 2010 in my picture. 20231009_162215.jpg

Hi all, thanks for the fantastic resource you have all built in this thread. It has allowed me to get setup with the Valence tool with a USB/RS485 adapter for reading the state of my batteries.

I have a bunch of U27-36XP packs which I've used for some time for gentle charging and discharging but have never connected over RS485.

On attempting to do so (following all instructions available) I get a 'no battery found' error from the Module Diag program. I can see from my RS485 adapter there are no RX comms, only TX whilst the app is searching of batteries. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Travis,
I'm a lurker here following this thread. I have 10 U27-XP's Rev 1 (black with M12 connectors) batteries. I have Ver 12.12 of the software and have 4 modules in an RV and 4 in a sailboat. The RV batteries have dipped into the low voltage cutoff area at one time (and turned the led indicators red) and this had me searching for a solution not to destroy my batteries. Here I am. When I finally got the software to work on my laptop, I connected to my RV batteries and one at a time got the red led to change to green! The sailboat battery bank of 4 have behaved nicely: not much use yet.
Anyways: You got a U-BMS HV to work with a low voltage battery bank? Or - you have a LV version? Please elaborate. As stated in this thread, there are a lot of U-BMS HV units for sale but not the LV version.
Since you have the Gen 1 with the M12 connectors and you got it to connect to your computer I am wondering if you would share the pin out for the USB connector, I just bought 8 of these and need to stop the red lights flashing. Thanks in advance for any information you may share.

Since you have the Gen 1 with the M12 connectors and you got it to connect to your computer I am wondering if you would share the pin out for the USB connector, I just bought 8 of these and need to stop the red lights flashing. Thanks in advance for any information you may share.
One of the guys in the thread here sent me this. I was never able to get the version one BMS to connect to any software with it but it might be useful for you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012_115516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231012_115516_Gallery.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 14
Hi all, thanks for the fantastic resource you have all built in this thread. It has allowed me to get setup with the Valence tool with a USB/RS485 adapter for reading the state of my batteries.

I have a bunch of U27-36XP packs which I've used for some time for gentle charging and discharging but have never connected over RS485.

On attempting to do so (following all instructions available) I get a 'no battery found' error from the Module Diag program. I can see from my RS485 adapter there are no RX comms, only TX whilst the app is searching of batteries. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks
I think the Module Diag program you refer to only really works with the 12v and 24v versions of the batteries, I too have the 36v version and I have managed to set the battery ID's with the program but that's all it will allow.
Out of interest would you part with any of your 36v batteries ? I have 10 set up in a 5s 2p configuration and id like at least 5 more maybe more!

Cheers

Matt

I think the Module Diag program you refer to only really works with the 12v and 24v versions of the batteries, I too have the 36v version and I have managed to set the battery ID's with the program but that's all it will allow.
Out of interest would you part with any of your 36v batteries ? I have 10 set up in a 5s 2p configuration and id like at least 5 more maybe more!

Cheers

Matt
What are you doing with 180 volts? I'm off grid and my inverter uses 516 volts so I've got 38 of the 12 volt batteries in series. It's just rare to see people using higher voltage so you got me curious.

What are you doing with 180 volts? I'm off grid and my inverter uses 516 volts so I've got 38 of the 12 volt batteries in series. It's just rare to see people using higher voltage so you got me curious.
Hi Travis

So I’m in the uk , our electricity prices went through the roof so I’ve installed 10kw of solar panels and the 10 36xp set up described above , fully charged it sits at 216v the battery bank is hooked up to a solax hybrid inverter x1 g4 , it basically means on anything but the dullest of days I’ve enough juice in the batteries to see me through till the next day. In the summer it was excellent but now the shorter days are coming in I have to top up the batteries twice a week or so .

Back