diy solar

diy solar

Van life 12v System, newbie ?

Logan 979

Van life 12v System. is this system to much to run some synthesizers, drum modules, lap top and a few lights ? the draw on the music equipment is minimal. 1 200 watt panel ,1 100 amp battle born lithium 12 battery. would 50 10 ga wire work to controller/all in one ?

Really comes down to a power requirement. The battleborn battery will hold 1200 watt hours, of which 800 watt hours is useable.

My son's gaming laptop draws 150 watts, but you should budget for 250 watts because they are all not the same. I don't really know what your laptop uses, and the other equipment I have no clue. Plugging in a Kilawatt meter would get you good data.

Also charging wise, there's a link in my signature block for a solar calculator, but you may get as low as 400 wh charge from the panels in winter, and as high as 1000 wh in the summer. That is assumed the panels are flat on the roof and not obstructed by shade.

So it MAY work if you are careful with the power requirements.

Thank you for your reply, I do have a kilowatt meter so I can plug it in & repost findings on the various instruments. How long of a time period for the most accurate reading on kilowatt meter ?

Thank you for your reply, I do have a kilowatt meter so I can plug it in & repost findings on the various instruments. How long of a time period for the most accurate reading on kilowatt meter ?
Overnight for a item that is on all the time like a computer, or just when the item is used like a hotplate.

The two things to look for on a kilawatt meter are peak wattage, which is usually when something turns on (the kilawatt meter may not have it) and also the total watt hours per day. I want to know the max watt hours I use, so for example if its a dehumidifier, best to run on a humid day to get a good reading for total kilawatt hours used, and a 500 watt space heater would best be measured in the winter.

Of course you can’t wait until winter to measure the space heater or for Arizona, the humid days are quite random, so best guesses based off the measurements helps.

The kilawatt meter will get you really good planning data, but still may need some adjustments after the system is up and running for months.

The battleborn battery will hold 1200 watt hours, of which 800 watt hours is useable.
Why only 67%? I see no problem using 80% regularly, 90% on occasion.

is this system to much to run some synthesizers, drum modules, lap top and a few lights ?
I suggest doing a full energy audit so you know for sure what you need.

Also keep in mind that with a van you can charge while driving.

Why only 67%? I see no problem using 80% regularly, 90% on occasion.

I suggest doing a full energy audit so you know for sure what you need.

Also keep in mind that with a van you can charge while driving.

off grid, this battery would be used with the Van Life kit on the Will Prowse DIY Solar website. To partially power up a "artist studio" not planning on any major power draws. It should take about a week to check my usage with the kilowatt meter. Thank you for you feedback.

Why only 67%? I see no problem using 80% regularly, 90% on occasion
You could go to 1000-1100 kWh if you want. My real energy needs are not that easy to predict, so I leave a little extra for the days I need it.

Overnight for a item that is on all the time like a computer, or just when the item is used like a hotplate.

The two things to look for on a kilawatt meter are peak wattage, which is usually when something turns on (the kilawatt meter may not have it) and also the total watt hours per day. I want to know the max watt hours I use, so for example if its a dehumidifier, best to run on a humid day to get a good reading for total kilawatt hours used, and a 500 watt space heater would best be measured in the winter.

Of course you can’t wait until winter to measure the space heater or for Arizona, the humid days are quite random, so best guesses based off the measurements helps.

The kilawatt meter will get you really good planning data, but still may need some adjustments after the system is up and running for months.
here are the stats
123.6 volts
.15 amps
13.7 watts
60 HZ
.42KWH

122.5 volts
.09 amps
1.2 watts
60. HZ
0.12 KWH

these were various digital musical instruments.

1st readings were lights ,laptop computer, battery charger, phone charger.

all this added up x 2 should be adequate for my needs.

diy solar

diy solar
Back