diy solar

diy solar

Victron 2x 5000KVa split phase. Main AC service panel

Alvaro

Ive bought a Victron 10 kva kit. It has 2x 5kva Quattros in a split phase configuration. Ive followed Wills video for split phase 120/240v . Its for 2 victron Multiplus in split phase but the principal is the same.
With this and instructions and suggestions from Current Connected for the kit. All good there. I live in the jungle rain forest of Panama. I've got a clearing in the tress where I get good sun exposure and the panel array is located. I am building a solar shed 120 ft from the array.(next to a future workshop) But my house and most 120 circuits and a 240 circuit is another 120ft from the shed. From what i've learnt about these split phase configurations, The main service panel needs to be close as possible to the AC output from the inverters. Is this correct?
(Allowing for wire size 10awg and voltage drops.) If I run PV wire the full 240ft direct to the house I get 327V to the CC. I'm using Victrons RS450/100 Charge controller 7x 400watt panels in series. 11.75 amps. x 2 strings, each is separate from the other. 5600w total.
Option 1: Abandon the solar shed option and run the PV wire all the way to the house and set up the inverters and main service panels and configure it all as in the instructions and build the filtered air tight room there.
Note: the reason I'm using the solar shed is because of high humidity and maritime environment. I need to filter cooling airflow to prolong the life of this expensive equipment. This place is where unprotected electrical equipment comes to die.
Option 2: This is where i need advice. Use my solar shed ,Set up the inverters, batteries, charge controller and smaller 240v panel there and run either overhead or buried wire the other 120ft to my house main panel. If so, What is the best way to take the AC from a panel (near the inverters?) if i followed the set up as in Wills video. Twin pole breaker on the right side of the panel 240v .
Could I in theory, Take 2 hot wires and neutral from the connectors on the end of the buss bars and run the appropriate wires to my house 150ft away then have a main service panel at the house?Photo below. Or is there a better, usual safer way using sub panels ? Taking into consideration the separate neutral and ground requirements of the 120/240 split phase Victron Quattros.
My main requirements are keeping the solar shed close to the array and future workshop. It also allows me to power my tree house that is closer to the solar shed than the house. As I said I can abandon the solar shed, take its air filtration system and run PV wire to the house and set it up there. but then in the future it would put me in the same position in relation to distance from the main breaker house to workshop. Then having to run power to the workshop and treehouse via sub panels a long distance away. Any advice or suggestions to save time, money and safety. Since im about as off-grid as possible its a huge logistical effort and want to investigate any options that my lay mans knowledge cant see.
It can be said where i live, Electricians with some knowledge of solar and and degree of reliable advice are not an option. From what Ive seen of workmanship here. I'd rather trust my own work, study hard, be meticulous and take well informed advice from this forum.
Thanks
Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 10.19.12 AM.png

Use the cost of the wire as the best gauge on where to put the power plant (batteries, inverters,SCC).

Because of distances you will have voltage drop, to combat that you need to go with a larger gauge of wire. So a lot depends on how many amps the different places will use.

In each location- how many amps could be used at once (run this calculation for both 120v stuff and 240v stuff).

For example - say ______ will have fans (3a), lights(1a), asst stuff (2a),hairdryer (12a), water heater 240v-30a. You will need 240v round up to 50amps (that’s the full value of the MultiPlus), 50amp is normally 6awg wire, but because of the distance it needs to be ____ (guess 4awg). 4-4-4-6 wire is expensive.

Place ____2 will have fans(3a) lights(1a), asst stuff (2a) - so 120v 6a. A 14/2, 12/2, or 12/3 Romex wire would probably handle that run for 150’

Do that logic for each run of wire and figure out which power plant option costs the least.

One other option- check and see if you can crank up the voltage on the Multiplus to like 125v - that way you can have more voltage drop and buy less expensive wire.

(I am not an electrician- but this seems logical to me).

Good Luck

Use the cost of the wire as the best gauge on where to put the power plant (batteries, inverters,SCC).

Because of distances you will have voltage drop, to combat that you need to go with a larger gauge of wire. So a lot depends on how many amps the different places will use.

In each location- how many amps could be used at once (run this calculation for both 120v stuff and 240v stuff).

For example - say ______ will have fans (3a), lights(1a), asst stuff (2a),hairdryer (12a), water heater 240v-30a. You will need 240v round up to 50amps (that’s the full value of the MultiPlus), 50amp is normally 6awg wire, but because of the distance it needs to be ____ (guess 4awg). 4-4-4-6 wire is expensive.

Place ____2 will have fans(3a) lights(1a), asst stuff (2a) - so 120v 6a. A 14/2, 12/2, or 12/3 Romex wire would probably handle that run for 150’

Do that logic for each run of wire and figure out which power plant option costs the least.

One other option- check and see if you can crank up the voltage on the Multiplus to like 125v - that way you can have more voltage drop and buy less expensive wire.

(I am not an electrician- but this seems logical to me).

Good Luck
Thanks yes good idea. looking into the price of wire and my run distances is what got me thinking about my powerhouse optimal location. I guess somewhere along the line you got to pay for the distances involved.

Back