diy solar

diy solar

Victron Battery Protect UP IN SMOKE in 12V system. HELP

That chart is scary. No one should ever use that chart. Where did you find that?

Yes Up here in Orchidland, Neighbor?
Yes, welcome!

Sorry that the Victron battery protect didn't do what it sounds like it should, it's a weird one. I'm a big victron fan, but that specific component is pretty confusing, I've seen people wire them up wrong on youtube before I think too because it sounds like it does something that it doesn't.

If you get a Victron inverter you could tell it to just shutdown at a certain voltage (or any inverter with programmable shutdown volts).

I don't have any DC loads on my larger systems, so no DC low voltage disconnect like your battery protect is used... They are all 48V systems for solar charge controller & wiring efficiency. The inverters stay on to run the fridge & deep freeze so it's important to get a low idle wattage inverter in that use case.

My 12V water pump runs off a single small panel and cheap marine battery, if there's not much sun for awhile I can turn on my 12V battery charger and use my AC power to run it (since I have a sine wave inverter, or generators if the main system batteries are low also).

Last edited:
Back