diy solar

diy solar

victron blue solar or smart solar controller

ian brooks

Narrowed my controller selection to a 150/45 Victron smart controller for my first solar install.They offer this controller in a Tr or a MC4 model .Tr has the screw connectors which I've heard are on the small side & the other has the MC4 connectors,wondering what the pros & cons of each are Price is the same,Wills book says to never use the MC4 connectors inside the vehicle.Not sure of the reason for that ,or if it would apply to the end connection.Also curious if there are brands of these connectors to avoid or that are recommended.
New to all this and want to get as much done right the first time
If anyone has experience with these connectors I would appreciate any input.

Wills book says to never use the MC4 connectors inside the vehicle. Not sure of the reason for that ,or if it would apply to the end connection.

Interesting, I wonder why this is. The book doesn't give any context as to why? Maybe @Will Prowse can clarify.

Ohh for parallel/series connection. Yeah keep them on the roof so that you only have two wires going through the entry gland. If you cannot do that, make it work however you wish. MC4 can go anywhere. Indoor or outdoor

Last edited:
Where does it say that? Use them wherever

I believe page 63 (of the kindle version if that makes a difference).

Excerpt from Mobile Solar Power Made Easy by Will Prowse said:
Pass solar array wires through the roof and connect them to the solar charge controller. Typically this requires drilling two small holes in the roof to allow the entry of the solar cables. To seal the holes you can use caulk. Or you can use a cable "entry gland"...

...It is wise to buy solar panel extension cables. They connect the solar panel array to the solar charge controller and are designed to be passed through your roof with the "Cable Entry Gland", It is preferable to have all MC4 connectors and branch connectors located on the roof, MC-4 connectors should never be inside your vehicle.

-
Ohh for parallel/series connection. Yeah keep them on the roof so that you only have two wires going through the entry gland. If you cannot do that, make it work however you wish. MC4 can go anywhere. Indoor or outdoor

Ahh, okay that makes sense, so the reasoning is, the less holes in the roof the better, make all connections outside so you have the minimum number of wires poking through. Makes sense (y)

Back