diy solar

diy solar

Victron charge settings

Ok I need help, Current connected wouldn’t share with me what I need to do to get my multi plus to work with their batteries….I spent more than a week chargeing the batteries, then cycling them over 17 times trying to get them to charge. Each battery has two cells that go into OVP and stop the battery from balancing. When I remove all communication from the batteries like CC said to do the Multi 5k shows that I have low batteries and the alarm starts going off, this is happening even though the batteries are sitting around 54v but locked up and not taking a charge.

The Multi was bought from another vendor by my elderly father ( long story ) before I took over the project. Yes Current connected said they know what the issue is but I need to talk to who I bought the multi from.. This is after I took both of their batteries apart as they asked and tightened multiple loose connections in the SOK’s…. Although after this I was able to charge the batteries a little more before the cells went haywire again.

So does anyone know why a Multi 5K would show low battery even though the battery has some charge, although definitely not fully charged since they are stuck in OVP ?

Ok I need help, Current connected wouldn’t share with me what I need to do to get my multi plus to work with their batteries….I spent more than a week chargeing the batteries, then cycling them over 17 times trying to get them to charge. Each battery has two cells that go into OVP and stop the battery from balancing. When I remove all communication from the batteries like CC said to do the Multi 5k shows that I have low batteries and the alarm starts going off, this is happening even though the batteries are sitting around 54v but locked up and not taking a charge.

The Multi was bought from another vendor by my elderly father ( long story ) before I took over the project. Yes Current connected said they know what the issue is but I need to talk to who I bought the multi from.. This is after I took both of their batteries apart as they asked and tightened multiple loose connections in the SOK’s…. Although after this I was able to charge the batteries a little more before the cells went haywire again.

So does anyone know why a Multi 5K would show low battery even though the battery has some charge, although definitely not fully charged since they are stuck in OVP ?

It sounds like it is working with your batteries. Brand new batteries often arrive imbalanced, no matter how much you pay for them. It's the nature of manufacturing, global freight shipping times and hazmat requirements.

OVP does NOT stop the battery from balancing, it stops it from charging. The BMS is still balancing.

You need to give it time at elevated voltage to balance.

Given the above, do you truly want to pursue other actions? The data you've provided suggests you simply need to give the battery some time and possibly cycle it normally to achieve top balance and eliminate the OVP events. Any corrective action you pursue may delay resolution unless there is more detail you haven't divulged.

Additionally, now that you've let us know you are using comms with your SOK battery, your charge settings are overridden by the BMS.

I'm going to tag @HighTechLab in case there's more to this story.

What is the inverter serial number? Would like to look something up.

This inverter is distributed by NAZ Solar Electric. Victron requires the specific distributor selling the equipment to do the support on those items. Our tech support team did verify proper operation of the batteries, everything is fine there. If you follow the process of submitting a support request and the dealer refuses to provide support, you can give Victron the feedback that your distributor is not holding up their end of the agreement and things can proceed from there.

I could have told you were it was bought. Do you believe it has an issue ?

I could have told you were it was bought. Do you believe it has an issue ?

You've made this claim:

Ok I need help, Current connected wouldn’t share with me what I need to do to get my multi plus to work with their batteries….

This is a dubious claim. CC has a great reputation for support, and the instructions for making SOK and any Pylontech-style battery work with the Victron ecosystem are everywhere. I don't personally expect them to pick up the slack of another

It's also very dubious because it's patently false. The multiplus does not work with the batteries. The batteries interface with the GX and the multiple interfaces with the GX. The GX is the "control center" of the Victron ecosystem. When this happens the battery BMS CONTROLS the system and overrides ANY charger setting you have applied in the MP or other GX attached chargers. If your system charges and discharges with the SOK communicating with the Cerbo, there isn't much to be done unless you need to customize something.

If you want to continue troubleshooting with the smurfs already active in this thread, I'm sure we're all willing to help. I suspect my response that what you describe sounds very normal has helped you reconsider your position.

If you start throwing around unfounded accusations or morph into a raging dick, then I'll simply unwatch this read and move on.

So, would you like to describe the behavior and your concerns in detail? If so, please also include your Cerbo battery monitor and DVCC settings.

You've made this claim:

This is a dubious claim. CC has a great reputation for support, and the instructions for making SOK and any Pylontech-style battery work with the Victron ecosystem are everywhere. I don't personally expect them to pick up the slack of another

It's also very dubious because it's patently false. The multiplus does not work with the batteries. The batteries interface with the GX and the multiple interfaces with the GX. The GX is the "control center" of the Victron ecosystem. When this happens the battery BMS CONTROLS the system and overrides ANY charger setting you have applied in the MP or other GX attached chargers. If your system charges and discharges with the SOK communicating with the Cerbo, there isn't much to be done unless you need to customize something.

If you want to continue troubleshooting with the smurfs already active in this thread, I'm sure we're all willing to help. I suspect my response that what you describe sounds very normal has helped you reconsider your position.

If you start throwing around unfounded accusations or morph into a raging dick, then I'll simply unwatch this read and move on.

So, would you like to describe the behavior and your concerns in detail? If so, please also include your Cerbo battery monitor and DVCC settings.
my apologies I wasn’t trying to be a dick to anyone.

I tried to describe as best I could what was happening with the batteries to CC, the batteries had two cells each that would go haywire is how I describe it. I would charge these till OVP would set off an alarm on the multi, the multi is using the recommended settings CC originally gave me to charge these batteries. I couldn’t get them to hold more than 54.2 before four cells would go really high, this was after following their recommended cycles of running the batteries down then recharging them. I did this before calling them because I hate bothering folks.

I reached out yesterday and told the gentleman what was going on, his first recommendation was to take the batteries apart and check the torque on all connections, after running up to our shop to get a torq wrench I checked them and was really surprised to find 11 of them loose. I then put the system back together and could get it to charge back a little higher before the alarm would go off again. I then reached out and the guy said to remove the data cables from the cerbo. So I did this and about ten minutes later the system started telling me the batteries were low and a red light started flashing in the multi plus. I called the gentleman back and told him what was going on, he said something to the effect of I need to contact the people who I bought the multi from, I let him know I could program it myself and change whatever if he lets me know why this was occurring. At this point I felt like CC wasn’t willing to help me since the multi was purchased from someone else. Now I realize maybe this isn’t the case.

Honestly I’m just stuck, I have batteries I’m trying to get balanced and a brand new Multi I’m also trying to figure out and make sure I don’t mess up the batteries by changing something that could harm them.

@HighTechLab Im sorry if it came off as I was bashing you, I’m definitely not, I’m just struggling to understand how to get everything working happily. I was worried about buying ( although I didn’t buy the multi ) from separate vendors and trying to get everything working seamlessly.

So here I am asking for help…

What may not have been clear to anybody at the time, the multiplus settings don't matter one bit.

If you have the SOK communicating with the GX, the SOK is running the show, and anything you put into the multiplus or an attached MPPT will be ignored.

1. Can you provide values for the 16 cells when the high or low alarms are triggered?
  2. Can you provide your DVCC settings in the Cerbo?

What may not have been clear to anybody at the time, the multiplus settings don't matter one bit.

If you have the SOK communicating with the GX, the SOK is running the show, and anything you put into the multiplus or an attached MPPT will be ignored.

1. Can you provide values for the 16 cells when the high or low alarms are triggered?
  2. Can you provide your DVCC settings in the Cerbo?
Yes, I will have to grab them in the morning, I’m not going to be back home till tmrw.

Edited - forgot I could log on and get these settings from the DVCC

Thanks again.IMG_9865.jpegIMG_9864.jpeg

Last edited:
I have it plugged into a 15 amp house plug to try and get everything working before taking it to our cabin and then running it off solar.
Oh I thought under DVCC you are setting the max charge to the batteries. The power control setting is elsewhere?

Oh I thought under DVCC you are setting the max charge to the batteries. The power control setting is elsewhere?
I was confused when I read the manual on that setting , so to be safe I set it to match what’s programmed in the Multi to protect my wall outlet till I take the system off grid. I’m sure you are right and I could have left it alone. Do you think that setting could set off OVP alarms ?

I was confused when I read the manual on that setting , so to be safe I set it to match what’s programmed in the Multi to protect my wall outlet till I take the system off grid. I’m sure you are right and I could have left it alone. Do you think that setting could set off OVP alarms ?
Well it's limiting your charging to 13A versus a max of 70A from the mp2 charger and more from solar.

This is the info the battery shows on my Cerbo , could this be why it keeps setting off the High voltage alarm? The charge settings on the Mp I have set to 57.6 for absorption like cc advised, the CVL limit as you can see is 56.0V and I can’t change that, it’s set like this and locked. Maybe I’m not supposed to mess with it obviously, but wouldn’t this cause the alarm to go off once it exceeds this while in absorption? IMG_9867.jpegIMG_9868.jpeg

Yep. DVCC current is output to the battery.
AC input limit is the draw from the AC source.

From the main screen on remote console, select your inverter, and you can set the input current limit:

1712286798634.png

Once this is set, it doesn't matter what your DC output current is set to. It will not exceed the input. It still may make sense to limit the charger output, but you don't have to.

What are your firmware versions?

VRM website, device list, firmware update.

1712286963926.png

Some of your DVCC settings don't make sense.

You have the option to enable SVS, and this doesn't seem right.

This installation runs the Pylontech protocol with Trophy batteries, and DVCC is forced on with SVS forced off.
1712287070759.png

1712287137818.png

I'm wondering if your cerbo firmware is old.

Also, please share your VRM. You can see mine in my signature.

Summary of asks:
  1. Cell values at high and low alarms.
  2. Device firmware levels.
  3. Share your VRM.

I can get the cell info in the morning, I’m in a hotel till tmrw.

This is all the info I can see from here and honestly I’m not sure what VRM is.

I blacked out the serial numbers not sure if that matters. IMG_9871.jpeg

Back