diy solar

diy solar

Victron Energy 30 Amp Battery Charger, can it handle actual 30 amps?

IdleHandsICantStand

I have a generator that has a 30 amp RV outlet. The battery charger has a fuse of 40 amps, rated for 30 amps. The only way I can find to run the generator with 30 amp is to make my own extension cord and or change the plug used on the charger itself. I have no problem with doing so but I am wondering if the wire used in the battery charger can actually handle 30 amps. The plug itself is only rated for 15 amps. I don't see how I can safely do it? Change the lead wire inside of the battery charger? Am I missing something here?

Plug

Battery Charger

The math works like this:
Watts in = watts out, and Watts = Volts x Amps.
12v x 30 amps = 360w = 120v x 3 amps

now, in reality, it’s a little bit more complicated than that because of a few things:
First, 12 V is not really 12 V and your charger can go as high as 14.6 V.
Next, the charger is not 100% efficient, so it will draw a little bit more watts on the input AC side then it puts out on the DC side, but with this charger, that’s probably about only 5% difference.

I have the three output version of the IP 22 charger, and I really like it, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

I have the three output version of the IP 22 charger, and I really like it, feel free to ask if you have any questions.
How does the three output work versus the single output? Is it just three outputs in parallel? Or can they be controlled individually via the phone app?

The math works like this:
Watts in = watts out, and Watts = Volts x Amps.
12v x 30 amps = 360w = 120v x 3 amps

now, in reality, it’s a little bit more complicated than that because of a few things:
First, 12 V is not really 12 V and your charger can go as high as 14.6 V.
Next, the charger is not 100% efficient, so it will draw a little bit more watts on the input AC side then it puts out on the DC side, but with this charger, that’s probably about only 5% difference.

I'm getting my 4 new CATL 302 amp hour cells today. I also ordered the charger you are talking about in the hopes it will be a good one for me. I'm still unsure of whether I should 1) put the overkill solar BMS Will recommended on, install the busbars 4S, and just charge it, they are matched grade A batteries (new) set up my charge controller.(60 amp Renogy MPPT) for the numbers recommended here on a battery "sticky" and just "go" with it, or whether, after charging, hook them all up in parallel, and let them equalize for several days

Connect up first as a 4 cell 12v battery with BMS. If it turns out to be significant cell Inbalance then go for a top balance.
The cells will be at a high SOC, thus the top balance with the cells in parallel charged to 3.65, will only take a stort time.

Putting in parallel for a few days, without being under charge, will do nothing for cell balance

With a low inbalance it may be useful to reduce the charge voltage , ( Renogy, boost volts, Victron, absorbtion volts ) to 14.0 volts with a long boost duration period to prevent cell over volt protection and give time for the BMS to perform balance.

Back