diy solar

diy solar

Victron ESS Response Time Measurement

Clarifications on the charts above:

Water Heater is on input of inverters (L1 and L2), in parallel to the grid.
Kitchen range is on input of inverters, in parallel to the grid.
Well Pump is on output of inverters (critical loads panel).
HVAC is on input of inverters, in parallel to the grid.

Also I have a question- can grid setpoint be set to a negative value?

If so then it should be able to sell from battery to grid which could be profitable in the future

That is exactly what I did with Sunny Boy Storage.
Allowed value for maximum import is shown as 0W ... 500,000W.
I entered -2000W. The box was highlighted in red. And it worked to force export.

In my test setup it thinks the CT is at grid input. It is actually right at the battery inverter AC connection. For a while I had an electric heater wired through same CT, to simulate house load. Reversed heater wire to simulate PV, testing shaving of PV to battery.

There are two ports for WattNode energy (power?) meters. You would think we could put one on grid connection, one on PV connection, but so far SMA denies that is supported (or rather said I don't need two meters.) Given comms to GT PV, the data could be obtained. Ought to be able to shave imports from grid, and charge only to the extent of PV, so allowed to export to grid.

Eventually after I work out the configuration bugs I plan to get utility PTO and deploy this to property with new NEM 2.0 agreement. We can add battery after that PV system is approved. Then I should be able to game the $0.30 summer and $0.20 winter spread, get larger credits.

That is exactly what I did with Sunny Boy Storage.
Allowed value for maximum import is shown as 0W ... 500,000W.
I entered -2000W. The box was highlighted in red. And it worked to force export.

In my test setup it thinks the CT is at grid input. It is actually right at the battery inverter AC connection. For a while I had an electric heater wired through same CT, to simulate house load. Reversed heater wire to simulate PV, testing shaving of PV to battery.

There are two ports for WattNode energy (power?) meters. You would think we could put one on grid connection, one on PV connection, but so far SMA denies that is supported (or rather said I don't need two meters.) Given comms to GT PV, the data could be obtained. Ought to be able to shave imports from grid, and charge only to the extent of PV, so allowed to export to grid.

Eventually after I work out the configuration bugs I plan to get utility PTO and deploy this to property with new NEM 2.0 agreement. We can add battery after that PV system is approved. Then I should be able to game the $0.30 summer and $0.20 winter spread, get larger credits.
Didn't know sunny boy storage could do that. Cool.

Do you have permission to export to the grid.
Negative. This is all experimental.
I'll be moving to Adam De Lay's generator startup technique when I disable the ESS (eventually). No back feeding possible.

If so would you be willing to set grid set point to a negative value like -200 for just a minute to test if/how it sells from battery to grid?
The inverter cannot tell where it is pushing the power to, it will certainly push power to the grid.
These things are designed for sellback, thus all of Victron's Dynamic ESS work (it is released now, out of beta).
Just not so much in the USA, unfortunately.

I'll be moving to Adam De Lay's generator startup technique when I disable the ESS (eventually). No back feeding possible.

Copy
The inverter cannot tell where it is pushing the power to, it will certainly push power to the grid.
These things are designed for sellback, thus all of Victron's Dynamic ESS work (it is released now, out of beta).
Copy

The generator startup will work, I adopted a different technique, ignore AC, then a flag assistant to call the grid on certain conditions to assist the loads.
Adam De Lay’s has this documented in his videos as well.

The generator startup will work, I adopted a different technique, ignore AC, then a flag assistant to call the grid on certain conditions to assist the loads.
Adam De Lay’s has this documented in his videos as well.
This would only work on ac out though, correct? So any loads not on ac out will be unsupported

This would only work on ac out though, correct? So any loads not on ac out will be unsupported
Yes, that’s correct, AC out 1 and 2 so the back feed is guaranteed 0w. Loads on AC IN side, parallel with the grid, will risk back feed.

Didn't know sunny boy storage could do that. Cool.

Here it is with a force charge from grid at lowest rate that will fully charge it, followed by discharge. I stair-stepped the discharge current to ramp up as PV ramps down (don't presently have CT in the correct place.)

This was a day that its on again, off again habit of lying down on the job was going to not charge. Note it didn't start at Midnight. But after a power failure and 1:00 AM and restore at 2:00 AM, it broke step and started charging. I have support inquiry in to SMA.

Homepage 032324.jpg

Finally, here is a chart showing the HVAC powering down.
In this case, solar is running the 3 kW HVAC for free! I love when that happens.

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 12.16.15 PM.png

Back