diy solar

diy solar

Victron smart shunt, Raspberry PI to view remotely? Or an AIO that covers ?

wired1

I just purchased a Victron smart shunt (as many have suggested), and want to monitor and hopefully control my system over the internet from home 1200 miles away. I don't want to keep buying the wrong things as I've read so much about different ways of doing this. Very soon upgrading to a larger 4000W/24 or 48V AIO and buying a pallet of 250-300 watt panels. I don't want to make any more redundant purchases. Someone suggested I get Raspberry Pi, someone else mentioned I need a battery protect. I've gone down so many rabbit holes here, this old timer's head is spinning.

I have 4x200 amp hour LiFePo4 batteries and at the moment a 12V 1000 watt inverter, just to show myself the possibilities available and I'm excited to go all out now.

So, my big question is, can I get an AIO that would provide me with the remote monitoring and control, or will I still need something like Raspberry Pi for the monitoring and a battery protect?

My recent purchase of a PD charger/converter was probably rushed into, as the AIO will hopefully replace it?

I know I can sell everything easily where I am, I just don't want to keep doing this wrong over and over. Thanks!

Do you already have a Victron Smart Solar charge controller now (as per why you're looking into a smart shunt)? Those already have bluetooth management on them and a smart shunt would be a great addition if you have one of their charge controllers already (to get a better SOC reading).

Does any of your existing equipment have remote management capabilities?

What is the end goal of final system? What is your budget?

I'm trying to figure out all the (remote) monitoring as well ... I don't mind the diy solutions of RaspberryPi ... my system is a mix of Magnum, MidniteSolar and such, thus, no one monitoring solution.

In your case, some Victron stuff already there ... you might want to go all out with Victron's monitoring solution. Especially if using Victron inverters and such. Quite the ecosystem of components, and everything communicates with everything else, and rolls up to the management piece(s).

Hope this helps ...

I bought the Victron smart shunt as a few on here said it was a good idea. I already have 2 hall effect sensors that show me what's going in and what's coming out, but I kept hearing Victron shunt and saw a good deal on it so I bought it. Paid $105 for it on Zoro, SmartShunt 500A/50mV, Just got it, could return but thinking it's a better way as I can see from my phone when I'm at the location, which is at least half the year, basically every other month. I was thinking I would be able to view from afar, but I believe it's only Bluetooth and not wifi.
Does any of your existing equipment have remote management capabilities?
I don't think the hall effect monitors have communication capabilities. I have also a 12V, 1000 watt renogy inverter, and a PD 9145AL, that I will be selling.
What is the end goal of final system? What is your budget?
I want to be able to power as much as I can when the grid goes down here (which is a lot), I don't see powering my mini-splits 24 hours or anything close to that. My battery bank is 4 x 200 AH 12Volt LiFePo4's. I don't believe I will be adding batteries, so I'm only limited in that way right now.

I am presently using up to 40 KWH/day. I am replacing my 30,000 btu window shaker ac's with 2 good mini splits, so that number will get much better. I can get by with less than 10KWH/day if the grid is down, just not as comfortable as I'm used, to but I know it's only temporary.

I'm on the fence but am thinking a pallet (24-30) of used 250-300 watt panels as the shipping to Bahamas is crazy, so a pallet costs almost as much to ship as 4 panels. I didn't expect to put them all into service right away, thought having same type spares would be good. They'll be ground mounted.

Right now liking the idea of a Mpp 5048 240 volt and a transformer for 120V. I guess I like it as that's the last one I've seen explained.....?

I do want something I can connect and manage from afar. I guess I want to keep the hardware costs below an additional $4-5K, at the max. Thinking under $5K for sure.

Thanks for reaching out, I am a bit in the weeds

Last edited:
I chose a pair of MPP LV6548s as they can offer good on all those requirements like remote management and 240/120v split-phase operation. The one caveat with MPP, is if you can get BMSs that MPP can talk to, you don't need a shunt. In my case I did not go with BMSs that MPP can talk to (like Seplos or similar), but found that I could put in a Raspberry Pi in the middle and install Solar Assistant software on it, it could talk to JBD BMSs, and can interface with MPP Solar on the other end, so that is a workaround to allow it to work.

Those LV6548s cost me $2304 (that was with shipping included direct from manufacturer in Taiwan). I haven't installed any of my stuff yet, so will see how it works, but others report the workaround with Solar Assistant works quite well to deliver all SOC data (when you aren't using supported BMS having native MPP communication).

I definitely would try to plan around your end goal, and start building from there.

Back