diy solar

diy solar

Victron smart shunt

Newfiejeff

24 volt system
Xantrex 2000 watt inverter
Victron 150/85-TR VE.Can charge controller

Would the 500 amp smart shunt from Victron be sufficient? I am planning on buying a shunt very soon.

Will the two Victron products talk to each other and show as a network on the app? Will I need to buy anything else to connect the two?

Last edited:
Will the two Victron products talk to each other and show as a network on the app?
I think so. I have the BMV 712, like a smart shunt, and a 100/30, and they talk to each other. Victron calls this smart networking and is easily set up by clicking a button to start the network. I would say yours definitely talk to eachothernbecause those products are a step up from what I have, but I don’t own them and did not read the owners manual for your product.

The BMV has a temperature sensor and when this reaches my set temp, the SCC will stop charging. I have four Victron products in my RV and that show up on the app, and I can choose which to open.
Will I need to buy anything else to connect the two?
No if done locally with bluetooh. The connection is done by Bluetooth.

There is a separate wireless network VRM for the internet I have not used and requires purchase of a cable and access to the internet to send the info out.

Yes the smart shunt can communicate with the charge controller via bluetooth. But, the smart shunt has poor bluetooth range, so they need to pretty much be next to each other. If you want to be able to monitor the system with bluetooth from 20 - 30 feet away you will probably want the BMV-712.

Yes the smart shunt can communicate with the charge controller via bluetooth. But, the smart shunt has poor bluetooth range, so they need to pretty much be next to each other. If you want to be able to monitor the system with bluetooth from 20 - 30 feet away you will probably want the BMV-712.
Or...

How to remote connect to your bluetooth devices from anywhere in the world :)

Or...

How to remote connect to your bluetooth devices from anywhere in the world :)
That would require buying a PC and an android phone? ? Much cheaper to run Venus OS on a Raspberry Pi.

Does your 150/85 have Bluetooth? Or is a Blue SCC?

I forget if they offered non Bluetooth options, if it doesn’t have BT I think you can add a dongle to make it work with the VE.Smart network.

My charge controller has Bluetooth, good for about 30 feet. I think it’s great!!!

What will I see when I’m my current app when I open it? Will both be tied together on the one screen or will I have to choose different options(charge controller/shunt) for each one?

Upper right is an odd icon of some circles and dots with lines, for VE.smart network, you need to add each device to one network then they talk.

The shunt will tell the SCC the actual battery voltage and allow the SCC to compensate for and voltage drop from SCC to the battery.

Attachments

• 168FBB3F-E57D-4A68-A73E-8BCD240CFAF1.png
    168FBB3F-E57D-4A68-A73E-8BCD240CFAF1.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 3
My charge controller has Bluetooth, good for about 30 feet. I think it’s great!!!

What will I see when I’m my current app when I open it? Will both be tied together on the one screen or will I have to choose different options(charge controller/shunt) for each one?
The Home Screen gives key data from all Victron devices at once, and for more detail, go to each individual device.

The Vicrtron app is good at showing what each individual component does by going to demo mode and choosing the device you want.

This is the screen that shows my four devices and then I click to get more detail.

IMG_4688.png

So getting ahead of myself, how is the shunt calibrated for first use?
When I got my SmartShunt, I removed my batteries and charged each to full using an AC charger. I let them sit for about a day, and the voltage was very close to the mfr specs so I reinstalled them and immediately used the Victron Connect app to tell the SmartShunt that whatever it was currently reading was 100%.

I have noticed that my system continues to charge those batteries for a bit after it reads 100% each day, but I have things programmed to the battery mfr specs, and I figure Victron knows what it's doing. I've thought of calibrating again as soon as it stops charging after it reads 100% (so effectively recalibrating to a higher state of charge as 100%), but I haven't done that yet, and may not. Anyway, all has been fine for months now. Will see how it all works out this winter.

Back