diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

This is my bad. I never got around to sending my BMS to Louis partially because I've been busy, but also because I won't be able to replace my SBMS0 any time soon due to the production issues for parts used in the SBMS0.

@Nami So I have a BMS with screen. Everything works fine, except I can't talk to the BMS over RS-485 with the usual protocol, and 9600 baudrate. What I do have is this:

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/enj-power-for-heltec-jk-bms.19837/post-383682

Sending the 'read all' command (4E 57 00 13 00 00 00 00 06 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 68 00 00 01 29) at 115200 Baud. I've not seen that response string (ef 80 80 80 80 80 87 80 ... see link above) anywhere before. Is this a new protocol? Do you have a description?

Ok, progress. Got rid of the RS-485 converter dongle and connected directly to a TTL to USB serial converter. Now I have the correct format.
I have an older set of dongles, and my guess is there have been some changes in that...

Up until today I have been running Venus OS 2.73 and Serial Battery 0.9 on my Raspberry Pi and was able to see both of my JBD BMS's.

Today I added some Ruuvi temp sensors to my system and had to update to Venus OS v2.80~44. After the update I can only see one of my BMS's. Tried updating to Serial Battery v0.1, but unfortunately still can see only one BMS.

All good if I rollback to v2.73 but then unable to integrate Ruuvi sensors.

Any idea what my problem might be?

My Overkill BMS kept connecting and disconnecting over and over again. I was using the UART usb that came w/ the BMS.

and now my smartshunt wont connect at all. (the same cable effectively connects my smartsolar)

still can see only one BMS.
There is something in the new firmware 2.80 and the driver not being activated for the second connection. I don't have a solution for it yet.
You can manually start the driver on the second BMS's port, or stay on the 2.73 firmware until I have a way around the issue.

My Overkill BMS kept connecting and disconnecting over and over again
What does your logs say? https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/wiki/Troubleshoot

Ok, progress. Got rid of the RS-485 converter dongle and connected directly to a TTL to USB serial converter. Now I have the correct format.
I have an older set of dongles, and my guess is there have been some changes in that...
I think you need to check your BMS firmware version, because in V6 For firmware versions below x, the baud rate of RS-485 communication is not 9600

I think you need to check your BMS firmware version, because in V6 For firmware versions below x, the baud rate of RS-485 communication is not 9600

I know, it's 115200. The issue is the older dongle I bought a few years ago doesn't work. Direct TTL to USB without the RS-485 converter works fine.
My code repo for interrogation with Grafana in case you're interested: https://github.com/PurpleAlien/jk-bms_grafana

Anyone know if the ability to run parallel BMS get adapted into the newest rev? I am looking to installed a 4 x 4S1P 302Ah EvE pack using JBD BMS.

@FKZ there is a ticket open to look at the ElectroDacus SBMS0 integration. If someone would like to donate a BMS that we can use for the integration and testing that always helps a lot.
Electrodacus SBMS0 users, I have been in touch with @Louisvdw about a Venus OS driver for SBMS0 and I have sent him a unit to use for integration and testing. If you have interest or input on a driver for SBMS0 please reply.

@Louisvdw would you like the SBMS0 discussion to be in a separate thread or remain in this thread?

Hopefully not breaking any rules here, but I propose a "bounty" of sorts on the battery bank functionality. In the interest of simplicity and transparency, I donated via Ko-Fi (https://ko-fi.com/louisvdw), I encourage others do the same to support the project in general and show support for new feature development. [I see that quite a few people have already, so thank you!]

I've been using the driver everyday and find it indispensable. Multi battery would be the cherry on top.

I'm throwing in $100 towards multi battery. Anyone else?

I'm definitely interested in the driver for the Electrodacus. @Airtime and I have discussed this on the sprinter forum. Did you end up buying another or sending him yours?

I'm definitely interested in the driver for the Electrodacus. @Airtime and I have discussed this on the sprinter forum. Did you end up buying another or sending him yours?
I had recently bought a newer version with the larger connectors. I sent Louis my older version SBMS0 with the smaller connectors. My understanding is that logically they are the same.

Yes I am currently working on it, but VenusOS V2.80+ has a new issue where it does not start the driver for a second BMS. So need to sort that out first.
I have been using the driver on a JBD and Cerbo succesfully, it's been great! Updated to firmware 2.8 at the same time as adding a Victron charge controller and lost the connection to the BMS, the Cerbo now does not see it. Suggestions on how to get everybody communciating again without going back to the previous firmware on the Victron?

Back