diy solar

diy solar

Real or Fake? Test your knowledge and bamboozle your friends!

Gravity Pumped AC Boots​

The human body is cooled in two ways: the evaporation of sweat and heat transfer from where large volumes of blood pass close to the surface (e.g., neck, hands, feet).

As you walk you compress the working fluid and move air passed the heat rejection chamber. The cooling fluid is circulated around your feet, keeping you cooler as you walk.

Fake. But I like the idea. ;)
YM0VH315LPNX0PAF.png
The basis for a stillsuit...

Peltier Thermos​

Keep drinks piping hot or ice cold.

Real, but disappointing. Thought I'd be able to find a vacuum thermos with a rechargeable battery like you can for hot drinks. Image is a hyperlink to a 12V cigarette lighter version.
The electronics seem easy enough, but not sure how you could DIY vacuum seal it. Seems like you'd need a vacuum chamber and some sort of plug (e.g., a schrader might be weird looking and you'd still have to deal with the wires. Put a dollop of UV epoxy on the evacuation/wire hole and beam it at ~0 pressure?). @curiouscarbon/@Supervstech might have better ideas.

Flying Security Drone​

Guard your home with a flying sentry robot:
  • Detects doors or windows opening
  • Listens for noises in the night & investigates
  • Lights up intruders with IR and sounds the alarm
  • Records sound and video in 1080p
  • Autonomous
  • Pet Friendly
Real, although not closed-circuit so a possible security issue.
It's actually a year old... just found it (image is a link); but you have to request to be able to buy it?? . Oh, pet friendly... figured cats would like to chase it. ; -) There are a number of DIY drone projects to do things like this.

It doesn't look frightening. I'd suggest a Dalek, but how many criminals are Whovians?

Lightsaber Chopsticks​

• Hot date with a sith lady?
  • Tiny tot saying no to Kimchi?
Let the force do the heavy lifting for you!

I couldn't make this up, it's real.

Sign Language Gloves​

Speak and translate! Your words converted into sign language!
  • Also assists in learning sign language.
  • Can download different countries' sign language.

Fake.

But there is a device that will translate sign into any language: https://www.brightsignglove.com/.
Rehabilitation-Robot-Glove-Hand-Rehabilitation-Device-for-Stroke-Hemiplegia-Hand-Function-Recovery-Hand-Finger-Trainer.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

DIY Lego Computer System​

Real! Used the editing to make the animated gif. ; -)
Not into Legos, but thought the assembly was cool.​
brick2.gif
Yes, I ran this through ClipChamp & Gimp

Tour Trappist​

Visit exciting Trappist, now only available from VG tours on their luxury liners.

Trappistis a real place, but the two moons probably was a big
clue you won't be going there in person anytime soon ; -). The hyperlink takes you to space.com where you can visit what's known thanks to the JWST.
TPupbozJsxc8QvZ2MBaTaA-1200-80.jpg.webp

Tour Trappist​

Visit exciting Trappist, now only available from VG tours on their luxury liners.

Trappistis a real place, but the two moons probably was a big
clue you won't be going there in person anytime soon ; -). The hyperlink takes you to space.com where you can visit what's known thanks to the JWST.
TPupbozJsxc8QvZ2MBaTaA-1200-80.jpg.webp
I thought Trappist was a multi world find, so the moons in the picture could be additional planets around the very close star…

I thought Trappist was a multi world find, so the moons in the picture could be additional planets around the very close star…
It is, the space.com link has a lot of info on it. Due to my extremely limited knowledge of orbital mechanics (e.g., KSP) I thought moons were more likely.

SECCHI STICK​

Amazing and low costs device that lets you analyze fluids to determine the optical density of a liquid.

Ran across these, never knew they existed.
image_c4ebcbc1-75fc-4380-9c74-191b8d8d706e_1200x.jpg

Internal Heat Pump​

Tired of paying to generate heat just to pay again for the air conditioner to pump it outside?
Turn your oven on to cook dinner. Now the Air Conditioner needs to remove all the heat the electrical elements generated.

Save money! Buy devices with an internal heat pump!

Similar to heat pump water heaters, they cool the house to create the heat you need*.
What can they be used for?

Oven/Cook Top - Heat the oven and cool the kitchen

Dryer - Dehumidifying the air as it recirculates, lower temperatures mean even your most delicate unmentionables can be dried in it.

*Note: Due to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, slightly more heat is generated than cooling.

The dryer is a real thing, you can get them at Home Depot now. https://www.energystar.gov/products/heat_pump_dryer
white-samsung-electric-dryers-dv25b6900hw-64_300.jpg

Internal Heat Pump​

Tired of paying to generate heat just to pay again for the air conditioner to pump it outside?
Turn your oven on to cook dinner. Now the Air Conditioner needs to remove all the heat the electrical elements generated.

Save money! Buy devices with an internal heat pump!

Similar to heat pump water heaters, they cool the house to create the heat you need*.
What can they be used for?

Oven/Cook Top - Heat the oven and cool the kitchen

Dryer - Dehumidifying the air as it recirculates, lower temperatures mean even your most delicate unmentionables can be dried in it.

*Note: Due to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, slightly more heat is generated than cooling.

The dryer is a real thing, you can get them at Home Depot now. https://www.energystar.gov/products/heat_pump_dryer
white-samsung-electric-dryers-dv25b6900hw-64_300.jpg
GE just announced their full size combo washer dryer all in one heat pump, zero exhaust unit… goes on sale the 4th of July… too pricy for me, but seems cool!

Introducing AirJet​

AirJet® by Frore Systems is the world’s first solid-state chip for active device cooling, delivering 2x improvement in device performance while operating in silence.

Its compact size and unique capability enabling faster, quieter, thinner, lighter, and dustproof devices.

It's real...
AirJet-Mini.jpg

GE just announced their full size combo washer dryer all in one heat pump, zero exhaust unit… goes on sale the 4th of July… too pricy for me, but seems cool!
That is cool! That's like getting 27 cuft of storage back in the utility room.

Introducing AirJet​

AirJet® by Frore Systems is the world’s first solid-state chip for active device cooling, delivering 2x improvement in device performance while operating in silence.

Its compact size and unique capability enabling faster, quieter, thinner, lighter, and dustproof devices.

It's real...
AirJet-Mini.jpg

That is cool! That's like getting 27 cuft of storage back in the utility room.
Yeah, my wife thought about it and said the space savings seems great, but it makes it so you can only do one load of laundry at a time… then she said… GET TWO!

Back