diy solar

diy solar

Wanting to charge a 200MAX through the same port with 2 different charging systems.

Tony S

There HAS TO BE a WAY!

I would like to come up with a way to be able to charge the 200MAX through the PV port using charging system 1 & 2 listed below.

I would prefer to use the PV Charging port on the right and switch between the 2 ways and times I want to charge. UNLESS - I could do both at the same time and ONLY drop the ALTERNATOR charging when the engine is not running.
WHY - I would rather not have to use the charging brick and have another fan making noise inside my sleeper box.

Ways I want to charge:

1. Use the 2nd Alternator ALREADY on my Rig, as a designated charging source, on my rig to maybe a DC to DC 12v to 48v Step-up Converter into the PV Charing port while driving. (I'm open to other ideas - as I don't know what all is available to make something like this work.)

2. Minimum of one 220W Bi-facial panel (Maximum of 2 panels or 440W) into the PV Charging Port - use ONLY when Parked.

I have no clue what components would be the better choice and way to make it all work.
Or if there is a way to make the switching between the two CHARGING systems "Automatic".
(I thought maybe I could have a relay with a default to the Panel circuit, for charging when the engine is not running. The relay would activate and change the switch over to the Alternator charging system when the engine is running and default to the panels when not running. That way I could use the same port on the 200MAX and push a higher charge into it and not have to manual plug and unplug the 2 different connectors.)

Sounds good in my head. But is there any way to something like this work and how safe would it be?
NOTE: I'm NOT charging 2 batteries and I'm ONLY using ONE PORT on the 200MAX.

Thanks ahead of time for your help and input.
Sincerely, Tony

My Rig that I plan to put one if not two 220W Bi-Facial panels on.
1689047317371.jpeg

NOTE: If I use the PV setting I can push more into the unit when charging and I would prefer NOT to use the brick for the port on the right.
1689047462130.jpeg

1689047622957.jpeg

1689049699773.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok in my whacked out brain why do you need switching how about using both at the same time or use whatever option is available. as long as your total energy from the panels and the alternator do not max out the amps or watts. it should work. you may need a diode or something to make sure you dont charge the panels or the panels dont send energy to the alternator.

Ok in my whacked out brain why do you need switching how about using both at the same time or use whatever option is available. as long as your total energy from the panels and the alternator do not max out the amps or watts. it should work. you may need a diode or something to make sure you dont charge the panels or the panels dont send energy to the alternator.

Having both charging circuits connect to one plug and enter the Inverter in the same port is what I would prefer to do and I need help figuring out how to do it.
It's why I thought the of the switching system. (Similar to the manual switch RVs use to switch between the different batteries. That's what gave me the idea.)

EDIT - FYI, using the 2 ports and the charging brick would allow for a higher charge. However, I don't want the noise of the brick's fan nor do I want to use the 8MM port.

Last edited:
FYI - I'm trying not to use the brick for the 8mm port for charging.
WHY - I would prefer not to have the Noise from the brick, or the extra heat that will come off it and then there is the extra cords to deal with.
Plus I don't really trust the 8mm plug while driving on our roads.
The PV port can handle more input and its connector is secured in place by a threaded lock nut.

I have that Bluetti and 2 bricks is how they designed it to work. Unless you could somehow match the alternater power to connect in parallel with the panels before connecting to the brick…. Not sure what would be needed there.

I have that Bluetti and 2 bricks is how they designed it to work. Unless you could somehow match the alternater power to connect in parallel with the panels before connecting to the brick…. Not sure what would be needed there.
With a 200MAX you can charge up to 900W in the PV port. (That's the one shown on the left in picture above. The brick normally goes in the one on the right.) Now, the 200MAX would not know if it is coming from panels or an Alternator. The key thing is to make sure one does NOT go over the maximum volts allowed to charge.

Back