diy solar

diy solar

Do they make a Charge Controller or something that can handle the following?

Tony S

Help brainstorm HOW TO - if at all possible.

Do they make a Charge Controller or something that can handle the following?
Or will I have to make something myself?

(I tried contacting Renogy and Victron directly. I could not find their phone number.)
So, I'm reaching out for help as I'm running out of time and will be using my truck again, soon.

My setup has the following and I'm trying to get the 2 individual charging circuits to work together.

I have a Bluetti 200MAX that supplies power for the needs in my sleeper box. I ONLY WANT TO CHARGE IT with this setup
I have a designated or second alternator on my rig that I'm currently not using.
But I plan to use it just for a designated charging system for the 200MAX - the engine is running and/or I'm driving.
I also plan to mount at least one 200 to 220W Bi-facial glass panel on the roof and I might install 2 of them.

This planned setup will only be for charging the LiFePO4 batteries in the 200MAX.
It will have anything to do with the vehicle's electrical system and/or it's lead-acid batteries.

SOLAR INPUT circuit SPECS for the 200MAX are:
Power of Input = 900W
Over-voltage Protection = 145VDC
MPPT Voltage Range = 10 to 145VDC
MAX Current Input = 15.2A

NOTE: I'm trying to ONLY use the PV port and setting, as it allows a higher input for charging.
That way I'll only have the one plug/ connector. Plus it has a connector that secures to the 200MAX with a nut.
So there is little concern of it falling out while driving.
I also would prefer to NOT use the charging brick that comes with the 200MAX.
The fan in it is Noisy. Plus it would add more heat in the sleeper, while I'm trying to keep things cool with the 12V AC unit.

Thank you for your help and time.
Sincerely, Tony

IF there is NO Charge Controller that would work - I started on this idea for charging circuits.
1689134777867.jpeg

BTW - Here is my Rig. I call it the G3500 Project, aka my Toy Hauler.
1689134862752.jpeg

Last edited:
if you find a heavy duty relay that can handle the PV voltage on and off, just cycle the relay so it kills power from the panels when the ignition is on (regardless if the engine is running or not - you usually don’t have the ignition on and not running for more than a few seconds anyway).

Look for an normally open relay.

I can’t comment on if your alternator to voltage converter to the charge port is a good idea or not (no idea).

Good luck

Back