diy solar

diy solar

Grounding panels before the charge controller???

fountaiw

I have a 2023 Jay Feather 22BH. It is prewired for solar with the sticker on the kitchen wall for the GoPower PMS charge controller and that location can only accept a flush mount option due to clearance from the slide. I'm planning other Victron systems and would prefer that the solar charge controller be Victron for greater solar capacity as well as so they can all talk to each other. However it won't fit in that location due to clearance from the slide. I'm hoping to do the following:

1. Connect the positive and negative wires from the roof and the battery at the pre-wire location with butt connectors ( I've already fished the cut ends out of the wall through a power outlet in the bathroom).
2. Install a Victron solar charge controller in the pass-through and then run 6 AWG directly to the battery from there.

The challenge is that the positive wire from the controller pre-wire location runs straight to the pass-through but the negative wire runs to ground somewhere in the belly between the pre-wire location and the pass-through (I can't find where without completely ripping open the belly liner. Spent hours with a borescope with no luck.).

My question is: Can the solar panels at 60+V go to ground before the charge controller and then the controller pick up a ground from the chassis? Can the 60+V PV system and the remainder of the the 12V systems all share the same common chassis ground and get along? I know this approach isn't "typical" but I'm really trying to not pull a bunch of new wires through the camper. Schematic of what I'm talking about attached. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Solar Plan.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
Thankyou for your response. Any explanation of why this can't work? I believe you. Just trying to understand where my logic is failing.

Back