diy solar

diy solar

Watt meter with bluetooth and 20a rating?

OffGridIdaho

Hobby Farm in N Idaho
Looking for an AC plug in wireless reporting watt meter I can plug appliances into. I dont want to have to bend over on floor and tilt head sideways to read a tiny chinese screen on a killawatt meter. Ive searched but cant find one that does 20a and bluetooth.

Ideas?

Last edited:
I have half a dozen of these in operation, some as long as 3.5 years:

Extremely happy with them.

I use them for:

Remote power cycle for my garage air compressor (has a very small leak I can't find, so I just run it when I need it).
Power tracking on my mini fridge (uses about 0.4kWh/day).
Remote power cycle on a PM4-100 converter for a charging application.
Remote power cycle for a 1500W heater in a shipping container.
Remote power cycle for an RV fridge (used 207kWh in August 2022).
Remote power cycle for a 10A 12V charger.

Reactions: Cal
My regular chest freezer uses 50 watts, and my regular full size fridge uses 100 watts. How much fridge space do you guys have, the whole RV?

RV absorption cycle fridge - the kind that can also run on propane. Horribly inefficient compared to compressor-type. Consume 5-6X.

Wow, that's a high price to pay for being able to use propane directly. Seems it would almost be more efficient to convert the propane to electricity using a generator.

Wow, that's a high price to pay for being able to use propane directly. Seems it would almost be more efficient to convert the propane to electricity using a generator.

Probably, but a 380W generator is likely quite impractical and very costly. :)

Many modern RVs are foregoing the absorption fridges and including small inverters dedicated to compressor fridges. Boondocking takes on a whole 'nother perspective when you have to figure out how to run your fridge.

Too bad it can't run off methane. Then you could run it from this fart bag.

new-photoshot3.jpg

They don't seem to use Bluetooth, but I use a 12/3 brown extension cord to move the Kill A Watt up to a more reasonable reading location. Walmart has those things at around $10-$12.

Has to do with camping. You can fill up a 5g propane tank and keep food cold for a month. Its a lot easier than dealing with gasoline and generators.

I run my absorption fridge on 120v during the day if I'm home. Just to save on propane and let solar handle it. Crazy how inefficient they are compared to compressors fridges. Still its nice having the option of using AC power. Especially now with solar and inverters being more common.

Reactions: Cal
I have half a dozen of these in operation, some as long as 3.5 years:

Extremely happy with them.

I use them for:

Remote power cycle for my garage air compressor (has a very small leak I can't find, so I just run it when I need it).
Power tracking on my mini fridge (uses about 0.4kWh/day).
Remote power cycle on a PM4-100 converter for a charging application.
Remote power cycle for a 1500W heater in a shipping container.
Remote power cycle for an RV fridge (used 207kWh in August 2022).
Remote power cycle for a 10A 12V charger.
Link not working for me, either.

Back