diy solar

diy solar

Welding cable between batteries - I have a question

mtt04

We have lots of 2/0 welding cable around our shop.

I'm combining 2 lead acid batteries for my camps to increase storage. We use 1 battery today.

Has anyone used 2/0 welding cable to interconnect their batteries.
Welding cable has more strands than regular battery cable so I'm curious whether we can use this.

They are connected to 30 amp pure some wave inverters.
The load is very light. Lights, toaster etc.

Thank in advance

60 amp charge controller
30 amp PSW inverter

Brand not sure - We replaced the leads on our Lincon welder with Aftermarket US made wire.
I used some for our dual battery 12v Excavator 5 years ago. No problems

We have lots of 2/0 welding cable around our shop.

I'm combining 2 lead acid batteries for my camps to increase storage. We use 1 battery today.

Has anyone used 2/0 welding cable to interconnect their batteries.
Welding cable has more strands than regular battery cable so I'm curious whether we can use this.

They are connected to 30 amp pure some wave inverters.
The load is very light. Lights, toaster etc.

Thank in advance

Can confirm that 2/0 welding cable will work fine for you; we don't stock a lot of it because -since it's not tinned copper- it's not marine-rated and will, over time, be subject to corrosion but as far as ampacity goes it's fantastic, very low resistance, very low voltage drop even over longer distances because of the increased stranding that you reference, and the insulation is generally a bit thicker (though more rubbery and less abrasion-resistant) than you'll find on standard marine-grade wire.

When it comes to DC, the bigger the better, although for what your doing, #6 gauge would more than suffice.

Well I think it should work then. We have anticorrosion goop we can use as well. It's in a dry place so I won't use any for now.

Thanks folks

Keep in mind, UV breaks down the insulation on welding cable... keep it protected from sunlight.

Back