diy solar

diy solar

What about limit discharge?

Gic1622

Hi!

I received my 8 LiFePo4 cells 202Ah and I found a surprising information into the data sheet.
The discharge end voltage is 2.0V meaning that the limit for my 24V battery is 16V!!
Screenshot_2020-10-21-22-17-33-906_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

I think my understanding is wrong. Could you explain to me?

Many thanks in advance.

Some manufacturers rate cells differently. 2.0 used to be pretty common, but most shifted to 2.5V. The reality is that you have very little usable capacity below about 2.9V.

There can be variances between exact cell chemistry but 2.0 does seem pretty low. There is 2/3 of no energy available by taking the cells down below even 2.5V and in practice little to be gained by even going down to 2.5V IMO. Going down to 2.0V would likely be leaving absolutely no chemical reserve at all, ie you are at the point where any further discharge at all would be causing damage. The BMS alone would be enough load to do that.

This assumes 2.0 is even a legit figure for these cells and not just a typo or embelishment.

So this all means that the 8S battery fully charged voltage is 29,2V. when a load is connected the voltage stays around 25,6V and fully discharged is 16V but you will ask the charge controller to stop discharge at for instance 20V because between 20 to 16 there is not much energy left and you are prone to damage the battery. Is it like this?

Back