diy solar

diy solar

What are the benefits of Lithium batteries communication with Inverter

Solar. Enthusiast

Does it worth to pay the extra cost to buy a BMS that can communicate with the Inverter. What are the benefits of this communication???

The BMS can tell the inverter/charger to limit charging rate, and features like that, as I understand it.

With my system, the primary advantage is it allows me to use AC coupled charge sources, which in Australia are very inexpensive. (ie a 5kw SunnyBoy inverter, 5kw of PV, all the racking /fusing/cabling to suit - less than 4 years old for less than 1kAUD)

Without BMS to inverter comms the system functions especially when it comes to current ramp down as SOC approaches its maximum do not work.

Here's what the Schneider Electric documentation says about it, if this helps:

"Li-ion batteries must have an on-board BMS, that, in addition to providing functions of
protection, cell balancing, state-of-charge (SOC) and state-of-health (SOH) calculation, also
provide a reference for charging voltage and charging current. This reference may be
optimized dynamically by the BMS, taking into account the battery SOC, SOH,
temperature, or other factors. It is necessary, in such cases, to update the charging
characteristics of the XW Pro dynamically as these values change. "

Essentially the BMS can tell the charger what it wants and the charger adjusts to meet that need.

When 2 or more batteries are connected in parallel and correctly wired (with DIP settings etc); Do they operate as a whole pack (referred to as Master/Slave Configuration) or do all packs communicate individual values in tern (referred to as patrol configuration)?I would expect that if they are master/slave as Victron require, that they would Report Cumulative CCL & DCL values that represent all of the parallel packs? E.G. DCL 100A for 1 pack, 200A for 2 packs etc with individual pack value subject to changing based on SOC and temperature.

is there anyone who can answer ?​

SOC or voltage control to the inverter / charger is both possible but voltage depends on actual load, SOC is more precise but not always compatible

Back