diy solar

diy solar

What are the cons of using a swollen lifePO4 100ah battery?

Pinzmann

So I got a Weize 100ah LifeP04 battery for a DIY power station to run my fridge and lights, etc in my garage. First time with this type of battery. From Amazon by a third party seller. The sides are swollen out about 3/16”. To me it is noticeable. Capacity test is 1200 wh and hooked up to a 1k inverter, I got 1k wh. These numbers seem low to me. Also concerned about having a swollen battery in my garage. Talking to the seller now so far by the conversation, I doubt he’ll refund or replace.
So if I’m stuck with it, is it safe to use daily? Will the capacity be diminished? Haven’t contacted Amazon yet,

CanOfWorms.jpgYou are going to get a bunch of different answers, but it really comes down to the level of risk you're willing to accept.

3/16th of an inch?

Could just be that the sealed case is adjusting to temperature a little bit, and not actual cell swelling.

Pics?

Yep - I feel it now. :)

I'd be tempted to see one of Wills teardown videos for the Weise and see if there is a lot of side-foam going on, albeit it may be an older model.

So don't know - maybe from a 3rd party this is someone else's return? Cells are fine, but it sat in a hot warehouse for a month? Wild west I tell ya.

If you discharge it and it goes nice and flat, and then upon recharge it starts to go like this, especially after seeing the cells in Will's teardown, I'd start to wonder.

I'd say do what you makes you feel the safest. Maybe other owners can chime in.

I agree, look for one of Will’s teardowns. The insides of these batteries are much different than I expected. Foam padding could be pushing the sides out… or nearly anything.

here is the video:

So I got a Weize 100ah LifeP04 battery for a DIY power station to run my fridge and lights, etc in my garage. First time with this type of battery. From Amazon by a third party seller. The sides are swollen out about 3/16”. To me it is noticeable. Capacity test is 1200 wh and hooked up to a 1k inverter, I got 1k wh. These numbers seem low to me. Also concerned about having a swollen battery in my garage. Talking to the seller now so far by the conversation, I doubt he’ll refund or replace.
So if I’m stuck with it, is it safe to use daily? Will the capacity be diminished? Haven’t contacted Amazon yet,
I'm curious. Is the 1kWh you measured is done on the AC output of the inverter using something like Kill-A-Watt?
If you measure the kWh on the AC output then you need to factor in inverter conversion loss which means the kWh on the DC input side will be higher kWh than the AC side.

Last edited:
The wondering is whether it is just a case of some foam spacer being bigger than they should be, maybe a sloppier Monday-morning build, or if there is a true former-owner 3rd party return issue kind of thing.

One just can't tell for sure to make a definitive recommendation.

After seeing those great comics, my own brand is going to be named Pandora. :)

From Will's video the cells don't fill the case so would be surprised if cell swelling is the issue. Probably just the foam packing. These cases look much flimsier then lead acid ones.

With inverter efficiency your 1kW doesn't seem far off the mark.

Back