diy solar

diy solar

What are the EG4 3000 EHV-48 Inverter settings with a 48/51.2V 100AH trophy battery.

george7

Sorry But I was unable to find an answer to my question after doing several search's..... I have read and I have reread both Trophy 48V 100AH and EG4 3000 setup guides and I am still a little confused. I wished I had done more work before buying, I realized only after I got them that they didn't have inter communications....I love the trophy but for simplicity I probably would have gone with EG4 Battery's with communications. MY question is What communications Menu items are needed to be changed on the EG4 to insure the EG4 charges and discharges the Trophy battery and does the trophy menu need changing?

Someone has an answer? I'm going to be in the same situation before too much longer and I was just assuming it's impossible or requires more hoops than a Hula convention.

Try Trophy Battery...manual says they can help if you have an inverter not listed in the manual.

Sorry But I was unable to find an answer to my question after doing several search's..... I have read and I have reread both Trophy 48V 100AH and EG4 3000 setup guides and I am still a little confused. I wished I had done more work before buying, I realized only after I got them that they didn't have inter communications....I love the trophy but for simplicity I probably would have gone with EG4 Battery's with communications. MY question is What communications Menu items are needed to be changed on the EG4 to insure the EG4 charges and discharges the Trophy battery and does the trophy menu need changing?
Have you had any success in getting trophy to communicate with the EG4 inverter..My neighbor wants me to build that for him..I have the inverter with a self built battery, but use user defined and don't use communication..

I can't speak to the EG4-3000 inverter, but I run two Trophy batteries (one 110AH CATL model and one 100AH EVE) with EG4-6000EX inverter and I run with the Bulk and Float both set to 56.4V. No other changes. During the summer I knock float down to 54V as I don't need as much battery capacity. This was after discussion with Dan at Trophy who was fine with those settings. There are no settings to change in the batteries I have via the front panel, all of that is read-only. If you run the older 110AH CATL battery Dan did have me change some float charge settings but they need to be set in the Battery Monitor software and you need a code from him. the EVE battery has a different BMS and it has always worked flawlessly for me with no comms to the inverter.

the EG4-6000EX is based on the Voltronic inverters (same as MPP) and Dan confirmed that there was no working communication between the MPP inverters and his batteries (at least as of when I was working with him around March 2023).

I am able to get data from the batteries directly and I interrogate them as part of my dashboards and data system, they just don't talk to the inverters.

[an old thread for sure but it didn't look like there was closure]

Wanted to reserect this thread as I have the same question. My setup is the mobile cart that Will Prowse built
Build a Mobile 48V Solar Power System in 10 Minutes! Specifically I am looking to confirm what Battery Type should be set under Program Setting 5. If its one of the custom setting what should be those settings. Its currently the default AGM which can't be right as the Trophy battery in not AGM.

Also currently I have the battery being charged with the Maximum utility charging current set to 15 amp using the battery not communicating with the inverter. The display is showing a flashing P that is not covered in the manual. Can anyone advise what this means. [see attached]

Attachments

• EG4 3000EHV-48 - 1.jpg
    EG4 3000EHV-48 - 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • EG4 3000EHV-48 - 2.jpg
    EG4 3000EHV-48 - 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2
Specifically I am looking to confirm what Battery Type should be set under Program Setting 5. If its one of the custom setting what should be those settings. Its currently the default AGM which can't be right as the Trophy battery in not AGM.
I presume you aren't trying to use battery communications - all I've seen the Trophy battery and Voltronic inverters can't talk - which is no big deal. But in that case you should set Setting #5 it to "user-defined" which is setting "USE".

If your use case is portable storage and you only plug it in when you expect it to charge then I would set #26 (bulk charging) to 56.4 and #27 also to 56.4.

I can't comment on the P. I've never seen that before and I can't find it in the manual either.

Last edited:
I presume you aren't trying to use battery communications - all I've seen the Trophy battery and Voltronic inverters can't talk - which is no big deal. But in that case you should set Setting #5 it to "user-defined" which is setting "USE".

I can't comment on the P. I've never seen that before and I can't find it in the manual either.
Thank you for the quick reply... I will see. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ground....

Thank you for the quick reply... I will see. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ground....
I've found Signature Solar to be pretty responsive if that is where you got it they might know what the P is. Since that inverter is supposed to turn its neutral/ground bond on and off it sure would be neat if it told you which mode it was in. That "P" isn't super intuitive if that is what it is for though. Love to see what else you find, I did some digging on the P and I'm coming up blank.

1705175481806.png

I've found Signature Solar to be pretty responsive if that is where you got it they might know what the P is. Since that inverter is supposed to turn its neutral/ground bond on and off it sure would be neat if it told you which mode it was in. That "P" isn't super intuitive if that is what it is for though. Love to see what else you find, I did some digging on the P and I'm coming up blank.

View attachment 188761
I will be follow up with an email to them later... also wondering if I set the battery type to USER does it not mean I also have to provide other variables manually. For example Setting 11 - Maximum utility charging current - is defaulted to 30A. So if I plug into a 15A outlet will the inverter "know" not go go to 30A current? I set this to 15A for now just in case as I am using utility to charge the battery as I don't have solar panels setup yet.

I will be follow up with an email to them later... also wondering if I set the battery type to USER does it not mean I also have to provide other variables manually. For example Setting 11 - Maximum utility charging current - is defaulted to 30A. So if I plug into a 15A outlet will the inverter "know" not go go to 30A current? I set this to 15A for now just in case as I am using utility to charge the battery as I don't have solar panels setup yet.
Yes, if you are charging from a 15A outlet you should limit Setting 11 to 15A. Otherwise it won't know not to try to pull enough current to trip the breaker on that circuit.

I would expect Setting 11 (maximum utility charging current) to be unrelated to battery type though.

Make sure #33 (battery equalization) is off for your battery as well. It looks like default is off

Last edited:
Yes, if you are charging from a 15A outlet you should limit Setting 11 to 15A. Otherwise it won't know not to try to pull enough current to trip the breaker on that circuit.

I would expect Setting 11 (maximum utility charging current) to be unrelated to battery type though.

Make sure #33 (battery equalization) is off for your battery as well. It looks like default is off
My thinking is that if I change the battery type I might have to change other settings as well. As for Battery equalization the default is disabled.

In my experience with those Voltronic made inverters changing one setting doesn't impact others. Changing battery type is not going to change the max utility current.

Last edited:
The flashing “P” is for single phase-parallel set-up (two units working together but single phase).
Change setting 28 from PAL to SIG for single phase operation. (One unit working independently).

I don’t think it changes anything else and will run either way since the “needed hardware support” is not present but it will stop the blinking “P”.

If someone from SS or EG4 can confirm this that would be great.

The flashing “P” is for single phase-parallel set-up (two units working together but single phase).
Change setting 28 from PAL to SIG for single phase operation. (One unit working independently).

I don’t think it changes anything else and will run either way since the “needed hardware support” is not present but it will stop the blinking “P”.

If someone from SS or EG4 can confirm this that would be great.
Thank you for the information you were right. Funny thing I never setup this unit for Parallel.... now I wonder if I should look at any or all of the other settings...

I have had one unit returned and was replaced and both came that way from the manufacture, so must be the default setting. I saw the same thing in Will's video on the review of the AIO unit and his was blinking "P" too.

Wanted to reserect this thread as I have the same question. My setup is the mobile cart that Will Prowse built
Build a Mobile 48V Solar Power System in 10 Minutes! Specifically I am looking to confirm what Battery Type should be set under Program Setting 5. If its one of the custom setting what should be those settings. Its currently the default AGM which can't be right as the Trophy battery in not AGM.

Also currently I have the battery being charged with the Maximum utility charging current set to 15 amp using the battery not communicating with the inverter. The display is showing a flashing P that is not covered in the manual. Can anyone advise what this means. [see attached]
It's stuck in parallel mode, turn the inverter off (leave battery connected) and change settings. They will stick.

Back