diy solar

diy solar

What are you doing to save energy?

Try an electric blanket. Low power consumption and you can turn the house heat down and sleep like a baby.
I've tried to make this argument with the wife, but she isn't quite on board with my cheap ways.

What I really need is a battery powered electric robe. Has anybody seen one that uses Lifepo4 instead of traditional lithium ion? I would feel a bit safer with a large lifepo4 battery strapped to me, even if weighs slightly more, vs a large lithium ion trapped in a heated blanket.

I've tried to make this argument with the wife, but she isn't quite on board with my cheap ways.

What I really need is a battery powered electric robe. Has anybody seen one that uses Lifepo4 instead of traditional lithium ion? I would feel a bit safer with a large lifepo4 battery strapped to me, even if weighs slightly more, vs a large lithium ion trapped in a heated blanket.

Heated Oversized Wearable Blanket Hoodie​

On Amazon but uses LI battery.

I have heated coats, socks, gloves, and sleeping bag and they all use Li batts.

I like the electric blanket because I can plug that in to a small LFP power station next to the bed.

I suggest the electric heating mattress pad if no ones tried one. We have the one with dual controls and the wife and I love the thing. It heats a ton better than the electric blankets do for us at any rate and uses hardly any power. I never even notice it when running on batteries.

I suggest the electric heating mattress pad if no ones tried one. We have the one with dual controls and the wife and I love the thing. It heats a ton better than the electric blankets do for us at any rate and uses hardly any power. I never even notice it when running on batteries.
I had a girlfriend that had one of them. It did work amazing well. I don't know what it's power consumption was. But it shouldn't be much, after the initial warming.

Another way I've been saving energy is to turn on my electric base board heaters way up. Uses close to 6k of power from the sun that would not be used after batteries are charged. Other wise they all stay off to save grid energy I'd have to pay for the next month.

I had a girlfriend that had one of them. It did work amazing well. I don't know what it's power consumption was. But it shouldn't be much, after the initial warming.
I vaguely remember reading that the average human releases about 100W of power at rest, so with suitable insulation (i.e. duvet) and 2 power sources, you shouldn't need much more to stay toasty once you're up to temperature.

LEDs light, tv’s set to low energy, 80 gallon hot water heater with 2000 watt elements with a timer that runs 1 hour a day. Mini splits, and a GE profile washer dryer combo. husqvarna automower changing on solar.
Tell me more about these low watt elements and timer. My hot water heater barely uses energy except when I drain it in the evenings with showers/washer machine/dishwasher. I know some of the newer hot water heaters have schedules and such that are useful for that kind of thing. Also, how do you like your washer/dryer combo? Im thinking of going heat pump hot water heater and GE combo in the next month or two.

The timer I use is the Intermatic 240 volt digital timer. The elements are the Rheem 240 2000 watts. My last hotwater heater used more energy so I think this one is insulated better, its the 80 gallon American Water Heater commerial brand. As for the GE profile washer/dryer combo, I like it because its ventless and runs on a 120 outlet. I just hooked the drain under my bathroom sink downstairs. My plan is to hook my hotwater heater, GE Profile washer/dryer, freezer and mini splits to a EG4 18Kpv subpanel.

I vaguely remember reading that the average human releases about 100W of power at rest, so with suitable insulation (i.e. duvet) and 2 power sources, you shouldn't need much more to stay toasty once you're up to temperature.

"Rest" with your partner in there??
A lot more than 200W is generated to get you up to temperature and it's fun too :)

Sadly, living in the tropics means that we increase our power consumption (bedroom A/C) when certain "activities" are in progress.

Friendly comment might look into electric blankets. We did some research years ago and decided it aint worth it. My girlfriend uses it to prewarm the bed but turns it off. I could not remember the issue and did a quick search. Found this lady. Im curious if im sleeping over a GS crossing point now!
https://www.karenkingston.com/blog/electric-blankets/
And of course the guy include this in the comments as a response to someone asking about sleeping on a metal bed :rolleyes:

If you sleep well and wake up easily in the morning, full of energy, then your metal bed is not a problem. However, many people who sleep on metal beds find the opposite, which is why the topic is covered in detail in my online course.

Its hard to believe anyone buys this stuff.

If the dude above is talking to me, i briefly saw the word electric blanket. Didnt see anything about a metal bed. I just came to make a joke about wearing socks. Have not read the comments.

Heated socks, under a Heated blanket, on a metal bed. It just about as dangerous as it gets.
Please be careful out there, everyone.

First you start sweating, then it zaps you and makes you tinkle, then it zaps you even harder for tinkling on it.
You might even stinky a little, in which case your girl will smack you. You zapped, slapped and crapped all at once.

Back