diy solar

diy solar

What color wire should be used from the + to - connections on a DC series connection? Something other than black / red?

aentrop

What color wire should be used from the + to - connections on a DC series connection? Something other than black / red? Im wiring up my valence battery bank for 48v setup

Black and red are the standards of plus and minus-I would keep them throughout for simplicity sake as well as safety

Use whatever color you want for the series connections. If you want, put black heat shrink on one end and red on the other. But there's really no standard.

I was thinking of making the interconnect wires a different color, yellow maybe?

I was thinking of making the interconnect wires a different color, yellow maybe?
It really doesn't matter. Use what you already have. Don't spend extra money buying a 3rd color. In my case I had a bit more black wire than red so I used black wire to connect my two batteries in series. I put red heat shrink on end just as a tiny reminder that the wire was for a series connection.

I would continue with whatever the negative color for series interconnects.

I use yellow for battery negatives to avoid confusion with 120vac hot and DC negative. I understand this is common in the boating world. Although red and yellow my battery looks like a hot dog ;)

I use red because interconnecting series battery cables are positive to the common negative. It doesn't really matter, they are usually so short that anyone can see what they are. It is interesting to use different color heat shrink on the ends. I used blue heat shrink on my red positive and black negative solar wires. Maybe now I will use purple on the red interconnection cables. ;)
I am using some yellow cable for negatives, but when I started that color battery cable was hard to find. It was black or red, the choices.

For battery connections, I use whatever I have available.

If I have no extra, Tends to be black since that is the only color I can purchase off the shelf at hardware stores in thicker gauge.

I also have ford wiring diagrams, and I loo at those to see if there’s a standard.

Back