diy solar

diy solar

What Hardware For Flat Roof Mounting?

markpj23

I have a flat section of roof that is plain old hot mopped roll roofing. I want to install the panels at a 26 deg angle. I've found a few mounting systems that look to be very expensive and hope that there's something else out there? This will be an off-grid system just to run a pool pump so I do not plan to go after permits.
Any suggestions?

Might help

I have a flat section of roof that is plain old hot mopped roll roofing. I want to install the panels at a 26 deg angle. I've found a few mounting systems that look to be very expensive and hope that there's something else out there? This will be an off-grid system just to run a pool pump so I do not plan to go after permits.
Any suggestions?
Tar roof... flat...
Oof.
Whats under the roof?
Are leaks a concern?
If it were me, i would cut out a section, mount feet to the rafters, and install flashings around them...

Anything you set on a flat tar roof will cause a leak...

Worth comparing the results of the two tilts on PVWatts (link #1 in my sig). You may find the complexity of tilting on a flat roof just doesn't pay dividends.
Plus you can get more panels on roof at a swallower tilt. So may produce as much power compared to the higher optimum tilt.

I have a flat roof and and am planning on a ballast system with 10° tilt.

Any suggestions?
Florida? Pool pumping? Looks like a Southern latitude optimized for the months when the sun is pretty high in sky. You likely can mount them flat and get all you need.

I simply constructed a triangular frame made out of half-channel unistruts, which I then bolted onto the roof. It holds the panels up at the correct angle for my latitude.
1681615447053.png

Couple bags a sakrete, a ratchet strap. And some Uni Strut "Get 'er done?"

Back